PLEASE HELP

Isldgrl

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
URGENT!! I have a young adult Splash Bantam Cochin Cockrel (7-8 months?) who is lethargic, eyes closed (unless roused) and that intermittent “mouth breathing“.

He was perfectly fine until yesterday when I noticed he didn’t come and greet me for “treat time” when I go into the coop and sit down for hand feeding of pellet food and worms. Nothing alarming, though, I just thought maybe he was in a mood. The temperatures here in SW Fla have been a roller coaster and it has taken a huge toll on my chicks this year, but it has been much colder than the 59 deg low last night and he’s managed fine. His vent seems fine, no mucus or drainage from eyes or beak, no noticeable injuries, no new chickens (in his coop) - I did handle a couple chicks from TSC. Didn’t even think about it - but didn’t handle him after. Have not dewormed. Eats quality chicken feed, with occasional dried worms and black oil sunflower seeds.

I brought him inside with me now, trying to keep him warm. He is not interested in eating or drinking so I made a slurry of egg yolk, hydro hen, water & honey that I am gingerly giving him via syringe until I get a better solution or confirmation that I’m ok to do this from responses here.

I am sure there may be a previous similar thread, but this is kind of urgent and I don’t know if I have time to search through all of the threads. I’m sorry if I’ve broken any rules or if this seems redundant, I am just a desperate new chicken mom and this is the first grown chicken that I’ve ever had fall ill.

Please help! He seems to be fading on me! 😭😭😭

URGENT!! I have a young adult Splash Bantam Cochin Cockrel (7-8 months?) who is lethargic, eyes closed (unless roused) and that intermittent “mouth breathing“.

He was perfectly fine until yesterday when I noticed he didn’t come and greet me for “treat time” when I go into the coop and sit down for hand feeding of pellet food and worms. Nothing alarming, though, I just thought maybe he was in a mood. The temperatures here in SW Fla have been a roller coaster and it has taken a huge toll on my chicks this year, but it has been much colder than the 59 deg low last night and he’s managed fine. His vent seems fine, no mucus or drainage from eyes or beak, no noticeable injuries, no new chickens (in his coop) - I did handle a couple chicks from TSC. Didn’t even think about it - but didn’t handle him after. Have not dewormed. Eats quality chicken feed, with occasional dried worms and black oil sunflower seeds.

I brought him inside with me now, trying to keep him warm. He is not interested in eating or drinking so I made a slurry of egg yolk, hydro hen, water & honey that I am gingerly giving him via syringe until I get a better solution or confirmation that I’m ok to do this from responses here.

I am sure there may be a previous similar thread, but this is kind of urgent and I don’t know if I have time to search through all of the threads. I’m sorry if I’ve broken any rules or if this seems redundant, I am just a desperate new chicken mom and this is the first grown chicken that I’ve ever had fall ill.

Please help! He seems to be fading on me! 😭😭😭
I’m sooo sorry i can’t help! I really hope he gets better! Maybe @azygous @Eggcessive could help?

Do you have any other cockerels or roosters that might have kept him from food/water or hurt him? I would separate him and get him drinking fluids every few minutes. Electrolytes would be good, but you can mix up a cup of water with a tsp of sugar and tiny pinch of salt dissolved. Corid would not hurt, but several of my Florida friends worm their birds every 2 months with Valbazen or SafeGuard because of the warm climate.

You didn't mention his poop? Is it normal or runny? What color? Has there been any top soil brought in lately? New sand for the run?

Is he having any balance issues? Is he stumbling? Does one leg seem lame?

Is there a compost pile with spoiled food buried in it where he's been digging?

Has the temperature gone suddenly from cold to hot?

Back
Top Bottom