Please tell me about your Rhode Island Reds!!

RIR's are......

• Total voters
I recently had to put down my 1 RIR hen due to reproductive issues (she was old), but she was one bad@ss hen! Keep in mind this is just my story of 1 hen, but still. I got her as an adult from a rescue farm that got her from an abuse/neglect situation, so she was never the kind of chicken to hop on your lap, but she wasn't mean or aggressive - just wanted her space. We have gone through two head hens in our pecking order, and our RIR was always a strong second mate. While our other two head hens were very bossy and controlling to everyone, they always had a respect toward this RIR and woul never try to peck her or take her food. While the other head hens would be pretty brutal to new entries to the flock, my RI was stern but fair - never going over th top to be mean to young pullets or assert her power. And also, this RIR was an absolutely AMAZING hawk-spotter! She was spot one sitting in a tree 5 yards away and would just be there growling at it. She was letting the flock know there was a predator and they would all hide. Who knows how many times she saved their lives!

People say a lot of negative things about RIRs, but I think they are great (besides aggressive roosters). Maybe they aren't a lap chicken usually, but they have amazing instincts, lay a lot of eggs, and are just very practical and pleasant chickens to have. Enjoy them :)
Thank you for sharing!! Wow, what a wonderful story! I am sorry she had to be put down, she sounds like a butt-kicker!! I really appreciate you taking the time to type this up, wonderful story 🥰

Thank you for sharing!! Wow, what a wonderful story! I am sorry she had to be put down, she sounds like a butt-kicker!! I really appreciate you taking the time to type this up, wonderful story 🥰
No problem! Glad you enjoyed hearing about her. I really liked her and would for sure get more RIRs in the future because they have such awesome instincts. I also really like the Buckeye, which is a breed that was used to create the RIR breed a long time ago.

Btw, sorry for the typos in my original message. I was in a rush when I typed it.

Enjoy your Rhodies!

No problem! Glad you enjoyed hearing about her. I really liked her and would for sure get more RIRs in the future because they have such awesome instincts. I also really like the Buckeye, which is a breed that was used to create the RIR breed a long time ago.

Btw, sorry for the typos in my original message. I was in a rush when I typed it.

Enjoy your Rhodies!
Oooh my sister-in-law actually has some Buckeyes that she really likes 🥰 . Oh and don't worry about typeos I usually gloss over them anyways😂

I bought one RIR from my local tractor supply along with other breeds (andalusians, dominiques, and barred rocks). She was very happy and friendly as she was growing up. When she was fully mature, I noticed that she was separating herself from the flock. At one point I thought she was egg bound, therefore I gave her several epsom salt baths.
Then when she turned 2 yrs old, I noticed that she started to fall off her roost at night time. As a result she started to limp. When she was in sick bay recovering from her limp, I noticed that she was having trouble seeing. Turns out she is now blind from one eye. She can't see up close.

She now expects to be hand fed everyday (which I do). I also have to put her away at night time in her special house inside the coop. Why do I do this? Because I can't resist her little face. Everytime I pay visit, she walks right up to me and clucks at me. She also follows me until I pick her up. Everytime I reach for her, she squats down. I guess she thinks I'm her rooster. Her name is Rhody and she is very special. She takes up more time than any other chicken. AND, to top it all off, I don't think she ever laid an egg in her life.

So in conclusion, are RIRs trouble? Yes, mine definately has been a lot of trouble, but that's ok.

Hi everyone! So I have been super curious about RIR's for some time now. I owned one RIR rooster a few years ago and wasn't very impressed. He would bite me if I went to collect eggs, he attacked and hurt my hens and had the guts to face my big, adult Australorp rooster. I also spent quite a bit of time around neighbors RIRS and was just as unimpressed. But of course I cannot really form an opinion because I happened to own one trouble rooster! So please vote up above and tell me your experience with this breed!! Did I just have a bad experience or are a lot of RIRs like that? Thank you so much in advance for helping me learn!
Don’t get them! They are the meanest birds I have ever owned! Very friendly to humans. Great egg layers but incredibly aggressive! I suggest you go for a nice sweeter breed, which also lays a lot, like australorps or Sussex’s, which are way friendlier when introducing new hens of different breeds. I’m sorry I was late to respond but don’t get them! They are only nice to birds that will beat them up if the RIRs mess with them. Only nice to other RIRs.

Well they are great egg layers, but they are very aggressive towards other chickens. I just sold mine because of how aggressive they were. They would attack any new hens I introduced, and they rippped some skin off my spitzhaubens face.
I know! They will kill ducks and chickens alike! They almost killed each other as chicks even when given more than enough space and nearly make my drake blind!

I started chickening with Rhode Island Reds. A friend had some she incubated and I received 6. I later found out 3 were RIR and 3 were RIR mixes. They were raised inside my house for about 13 weeks. Out of the 6 I came away with one rooster (full RIR) who I thought I didnt want. He was my favorite very early and I made the decision a rooster in my flock would be good. They were VERY easy to train to go to their coop each night. They are insanely smart. As soon as I got them outside, I got 6 more in various breeds of Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Red Sex link, white leghorn, and one easter Egger. My RIR's were held daily and snuggled and played with. Out of them when they went outside I only came away with one snuggler (a mix) and the rest were not skittish but didnt care to be held. My rooster had a rough time with the new babies. I tried introducing them from when they were about 6 weeks and he was young and dumb and was trying to mate the little babies. With a water gun and ton of discipline and patience my flocks came together to form one. It took them all being the same size. But my RIR girls were BULLIES. They were top of pecking order. They are smart though and my rooster recently fought a stray dog and saved 6 of my hens of the 9 I had. He fought hard and I will forever respect him for that. He had more dogs blood on him than his own. He feeds his ladies, protects them and he is amazing. Not sure I will ever have another kind of rooster now. Im impressed by how hardy they are and honestly I love my mixes more than any of my chickens. They have the hardiness of the RIR and the friendliness of whatever they are mixed with. My RIR and RIR mixes are by far the smartest of my flock when it comes to predators and staying safe.

I have 3 Rhode Island Reds that are about 6 months old. I handled them a lot when they where chicks and have had no issues from mine. They are not like my needy Beifielders, but they let me pick them up and pet them and mess with them. They haven't really bullies in my flock either. A couple of my Easter Eggers are the bigger bullies in my flock.

Attachments

• 20240727_134422.jpg
    20240727_134422.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 0
I started chickening with Rhode Island Reds. A friend had some she incubated and I received 6. I later found out 3 were RIR and 3 were RIR mixes. They were raised inside my house for about 13 weeks. Out of the 6 I came away with one rooster (full RIR) who I thought I didnt want. He was my favorite very early and I made the decision a rooster in my flock would be good. They were VERY easy to train to go to their coop each night. They are insanely smart. As soon as I got them outside, I got 6 more in various breeds of Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Red Sex link, white leghorn, and one easter Egger. My RIR's were held daily and snuggled and played with. Out of them when they went outside I only came away with one snuggler (a mix) and the rest were not skittish but didnt care to be held. My rooster had a rough time with the new babies. I tried introducing them from when they were about 6 weeks and he was young and dumb and was trying to mate the little babies. With a water gun and ton of discipline and patience my flocks came together to form one. It took them all being the same size. But my RIR girls were BULLIES. They were top of pecking order. They are smart though and my rooster recently fought a stray dog and saved 6 of my hens of the 9 I had. He fought hard and I will forever respect him for that. He had more dogs blood on him than his own. He feeds his ladies, protects them and he is amazing. Not sure I will ever have another kind of rooster now. Im impressed by how hardy they are and honestly I love my mixes more than any of my chickens. They have the hardiness of the RIR and the friendliness of whatever they are mixed with. My RIR and RIR mixes are by far the smartest of my flock when it comes to predators and staying safe.
Thank you so much for sharing! He sounds like such an amazing boy🥰. Did he have a name?

Back
Top Bottom