Please tell me these are all girls.

HennaRose

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Florida
I am concerned. I think one of my chickens, the only white-egg-laying breed I still have until August, may be a rooster.

My Leghorn looks different. All my other three (RIR, EE, Australrop) are round-bodied, have short, rounded tail feathers, and their combs are still very pale. My Leghorn is slim, has long, pointy tail feathers, and is starting to get redder in the comb than the others.

I hope it’s just a breed difference, but I have my suspicions. The hatchery will credit me for the cost I paid for the chick if it turns out she’s a he, but then I have to figure out what to do with a rooster that I’m not allowed to keep.

Rhode Island Red

Easter Egger, Australorp

Leghorn

All four together

The photo color quality isn't great but I can tell the dark color of wattles compared to lighter color of comb on the bird in question. This leads me to believe that's bright red wattles meaning the comb is pale or pink. Make no mistake, at this age any male with single comb would be as red as waddles.

In short, looks like a pullet. I can't tell you about the EE but hatchery sexing is very accurate so will guess pullet too.

Cell phone is the only camera I have and I was inside the coop with them because otherwise they were all over the place and I couldn't get a photo.

The wattles are brighter, more red than the comb, which is just a darker pink compared to the other three. Mostly I was looking at the tail feathers and the fact that the Leghorn is not as round-bodied as the others. They're all 8 weeks old except the Australorp, she's 9 weeks. The EE and Australorp are trying to cluck (they're more honking than clucking, it's hilarious). The RIR is half-honking, half-peeping, and the Leghorn is still only peeping.

The long upright tail is the breed and not the gender. You'll note that hatchery stock breeds (loose term there) have much more upright tails compared to their breeder bred, standard bred, pure bred breed counterpart. This is due to the leghorn ancestry put into hatchery breeds to make them more egg productive.

I don't know if that made much sense but just google a breed and look at images, say Barred Plymouth Rock. Look at those pictures of hatchery birds and note the upright tails and general non Rock type with poor barring. Then go to https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/811228/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread and see what the bird should look like. Skinny long body with upright tail is Leghorn trait that you'll see in hatchery quality birds once you see what standard bred birds look like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom