Poll on flock toys — please answer if possible!

Does your flock like small toys (that don’t involve food)?

• Yes, they play with all of them—long term

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m doing a bit of research (just for personal reasons, and I was thinking about writing an article on the subject) on whether or not your chickens like small, colorful toys (that don’t involve food) such as xylophones, ropes with bells, mirrors, balls, tiny drums, etc.

I would really appreciate it if you could answer the poll questions and tag any people you think might be able to as well. I’d like to get as many answers as possible for accurate results.

EDIT: Also, if you have any photos of your chickens playing with stuff like this (or not playing!), I'd love to see them. It might come in handy if I end up writing an article. (I would personally message you for permission to use the photos; you are not "signing up" for anything by posting them here :))

Thanks a lot! :frow
Mine like the mirrors only and I have several toys around. They do love the interactive treat toys!

When my dogs lose any toy through the fence into the chicken run the ladies all pull up their dainty feathered skirts and shriek like Victorian girls and run for the other side of the run, staying there having vapors until I remove the offensive toy.
They do like the bark and moss covered swing I put in and hanging cabbage or other goodies get a lot of attention. Half a Watermelon is their all time favorite entertainment.

When my dogs lose any toy through the fence into the chicken run the ladies all pull up their dainty feathered skirts and shriek like Victorian girls and run for the other side of the run, staying there having vapors until I remove the offensive toy.
They do like the bark and moss covered swing I put in and hanging cabbage or other goodies get a lot of attention. Half a Watermelon is their all time favorite entertainment.
Thanks for the laugh 😆 😂

I actually haven't tried giving them any toys because they generally free range all day, but since predators seem to have materialized out of nowhere and the hens have to stay in the pen all day, I think I'm going to try it!
It seems (based on this poll) that flocks enjoy natural “toys” such as branches to perch on, digging piles, and dust baths, rather than artificial, colorful toys.

Let me know what works for you once you try!

It seems (based on this poll) that flocks enjoy natural “toys” such as branches to perch on, digging piles, and dust baths, rather than artificial, colorful toys.

Let me know what works for you once you try!
Okay, that's good. They have branches, a fairly sandy area of the run, and that's about it, but they're a bit bored. They're not interested in the usual suggestions of hanging cabbages and apples so I need to find something else...

Back
Top Bottom