Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
I'm back again with that same chicken :) I am about 100% that it's a cockerel now that those tail feathers are growing in. Yes? Just taking a long time for the comb etc to start growing and getting red. If there is ANY chance this is a girl, I want to keep it. No crowing.. yet and it's 15 weeks old.... thoughts?

Looks like a male to me. However, I would not bank on it. Mine have had me fooled. My Lavender Orp projects are the hardest birds I have, to sex.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure that is a cockerel. Yes it kind of resembles a cockerel but.... the lack of comb/wattles and from what I can see of the saddle feathers though they are tattery looking they appear more rounded like a pullet than pointed like cockerel. This is one of those I would hold onto till it crowd or laid an egg.
wink.png

I wouldn't be so sure that is a cockerel. Yes it kind of resembles a cockerel but.... the lack of comb/wattles and from what I can see of the saddle feathers though they are tattery looking they appear more rounded like a pullet than pointed like cockerel. This is one of those I would hold onto till it crowd or laid an egg.
wink.png

Oh man.. you guys are NOT helping... LOL.. I was really hoping I could sell this "guy" before he started crowing because I live in a "rooster free zone". I'm in agreement that this one is somewhat of an impossible bird to sex for me and I am usually very good at that. It's a BIG bird so if it ends up being a hen she is going to be a beast! Yeah feathers are not in very good condition in this pic.. sorry.. had some rainy windy weather that day and I just treated for mites/lice several weeks ago..

Jim, what you've stated here is perfect nonsense and I say that as someone who actually has experience exhibiting at APA ABA sanctioned shows. Were I to import this marvelous UK type buff we are looking at and exhibit him on this side of the pond he is exhibited and evaluated according to the APA SOP. There is no nonsense about his not being evaluated according to the APA SOP or me providing the judging slate with a current copy of the UK SOP. That's absolutely ridiculous. I realize I seem extremely argumentative but I am always flummoxed by the fact that you state an idea and then completely contradict it. Orpingtons for new comers to an Orpington interest may find the present state of affairs confusing but I can't see how the things you post are going to help clarify anything for anyone. Just my take on what we are seeing and reading.
hu.gif

Quote:

I believe many of the owners of the imported Orpingtons have expressed that they have no interest at all in showing their birds, making a standard for them, or working on them for acceptance in the APA SOP.

These birds are not for everyone. Specifically, those that show. Remember, less than 1% of all poultry owners show their birds. As you said, "A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard."

But, as Walt has pointed out numerous times, they will no longer be Orpingtons according to the American Standard.

Newbies get confused as to what an Orpington is. Between the hatchery lines, SOP lines and imported lines we have three different type large fowl Orpingtons. I have many times seen taht youth crying about his County Fair Grand Champion being disqualified at a sanctioned show. He had ordered from a hatchery and did not understand why he had lost. I located a breeder and introduced them. The next year the youth was back. He did not win, but was not disqualified. A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard. But when you attend an American show, those birds will be judged by the SOP. Now if an imported bird is entered as such, then the would not be judged by the SOP. The exhibitor would ahve to provide a copy of the imported standard. It would also only compete against itself, as it would be disqualified by the SOP. If the breeders of imported Orpingtons got together and worked hard, in 5 years they actually may achieve acceptance. Walt can tell you it would not be easy, but is in their grasp.

But, as Walt has pointed out numerous times, they will no longer be Orpingtons according to the American Standard.

Newbies get confused as to what an Orpington is. Between the hatchery lines, SOP lines and imported lines we have three different type large fowl Orpingtons. I have many times seen taht youth crying about his County Fair Grand Champion being disqualified at a sanctioned show. He had ordered from a hatchery and did not understand why he had lost. I located a breeder and introduced them. The next year the youth was back. He did not win, but was not disqualified. A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard. But when you attend an American show, those birds will be judged by the SOP. Now if an imported bird is entered as such, then the would not be judged by the SOP. The exhibitor would ahve to provide a copy of the imported standard. It would also only compete against itself, as it would be disqualified by the SOP. If the breeders of imported Orpingtons got together and worked hard, in 5 years they actually may achieve acceptance. Walt can tell you it would not be easy, but is in their grasp.

See, here's the kicker... I'm not breeding my Orps to the American SOP, nor do I (or will I ever) show my birds.

That said, yes I can raise whatever I want in my backyard and I will.

For the life of me I don't understand why you have such an issue with that.
smile.png

Last edited:
A lot of red in that comb for a 15 week pullet. Rooster me thinks.

I hatched a dozen of these last year that, at about 10 weeks, all appeared to be male from the redness. I ended up with only 2 being males. These are tough to sex!
Totally agree Kathy, lav orps can be a very tricky youngster to sex, have had my share of the ones that fool ya.
tongue.png
This particular bird in questions has no absolute define one way or another "yet".
hu.gif

Most here on BYC do not show their birds. Most here do not care about raising birds to the APA SOP. For those who here on BYC get all wrapped up in others business, maybe they should step back and worry about what their raising. Instead they prefer to nib into others business and act all high and mighty in telling everyone what to do with their birds.
I do show birds. I do attend seminars with 4-Hers. And BYC is NEVER mentioned as a reliable source for the little ones to safely go to for info on raising poultry. IF one wants a serious conversation about how to breed one's birds this many times has not proven to be a friendly place to ask questions or show pics of birds.

I think its a good lesson for those of us who do like to show.
Walt keeps us grounded and in reality..and goal oriented. He reminds us what we need to achive to do well in the ring.

If I had to pick a favorite, import or american, I couldnt .breeders work really hard at this and it shows .
Nothing wrong with just wanting to have the imports...I want polet de bresse, thou they are not in SOP here..I just want them.

A vert\y good lesson for people who like myself Love to show, be mindful of what your doing with breeding birds

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom