Prefab coop improvements

Do you think I could raise the roof of the coop (and also the roof of the run) 6" or so then add hardware cloth to the gap to increase the ventilation and headspace? 70931523-F39D-44B0-90B4-92BC603DC95A.jpeg

Do you think I could raise the roof of the coop (and also the roof of the run) 6" or so then add hardware cloth to the gap to increase the ventilation and headspace?View attachment 3191122

How tall is it now?

I'm thinking that maybe by the time you've done all that work you might have been able to build something?

Do you think I could raise the roof of the coop (and also the roof of the run) 6" or so then add hardware cloth to the gap to increase the ventilation and headspace?View attachment 3191122
It looks like your ventilation is already pretty good with one whole wall being open inside. As for doing it for the sake of headspace, I would just be worried about doing much with that wood. If it's similar to what my prefab is made of, even putting a single screw through it has made it splinter and crack. I have the same thought as @3KillerBs , is doing that worth the risk of messing it up or would it be more worth it to put that effort into a new coop? Idk the answer to that but it's something to think about.

Myself, I made modifications to my coop but even now I'm still not happy with it and might just make a new coop before winter. My long term plan was to have this one get me through the winter and build one in the spring. But with how small it still is for my 4 and with 2 more that will be joining the flock in the winter (getting 2 hens in September), I think I'll just have to rebuild anyway.

Back
Top Bottom