Cover for a prefab coop

Hootrvil

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2024
Hello! I've purchased a prefab coop that is perfect for my set of golden laced Polish. I'm attaching an extended run with all the necessary fencing to keep out pests... my question is how could I create a "cover" for the coop so that it lasts a bit longer than if left alone. I was thinking some kind of large tarp? Any suggestions or has anyone done something like this and can share pics? TY!

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 18
It's such a small area I'd consider using solid roof that will last considerably longer than a tarp - such as corrugated roof that matches the aesthetic of the other roof. Likely cost you less than $100 to do that
100% agree. It won’t take much to cover that.

I’ll add that if you really want it to last longer, elevate it off the ground, or create a “foundation of sorts that it will sit on, so it’s not in constant contact with damp soil.

My neighbor had this one. He put a chain link fence around it, added an old sheet of plywood over this coop (unattractive but effective), his run was a bit soggy until he added a bunch of gravel, so it was elevated a touch above the wet ground.

A tarp is flimsy and noisy, and gets bogged down with moisture and deteriorates in wind and sun. I vote for something more rigid and durable.

100% agree. It won’t take much to cover that.

I’ll add that if you really want it to last longer, elevate it off the ground, or create a “foundation of sorts that it will sit on, so it’s not in constant contact with damp soil.

My neighbor had this one. He put a chain link fence around it, added an old sheet of plywood over this coop (unattractive but effective), his run was a bit soggy until he added a bunch of gravel, so it was elevated a touch above the wet ground.

A tarp is flimsy and noisy, and gets bogged down with moisture and deteriorates in wind and sun. I vote for something more rigid and durable.
Great tips, here...thank you!

It's such a small area I'd consider using solid roof that will last considerably longer than a tarp - such as corrugated roof that matches the aesthetic of the other roof. Likely cost you less than $100 to do that
Thanks so much for the suggestion...I do have some tin that may work and easily painted.

We bought a prefab coop also like the one I posted below. I watched a lot of videos on these things slowly deteriorating after a couple years. First thing I did, before we got our chickens, was coated every inch of wood inside and out with a water seal. I then sprayed the roof with a composite spray sealer. Then sliconed all gaps around the roof and where all the wood panels meet. I'm not sure what the wood is treated with, but it took at least 3 days for the sealer to dry. We've only had ours for a little over a month now so cannot reference to extending its life, but I know it can't hurt.

1000007031.jpg

Btw, We put this in a 10'x10' kennel. The top is covered with HWC and a heavy duty tarp. I took pvc pipe and ran it under the hwc and tarp, cuts slits in the ends of the pvc to slide into the kennel rails to force it all up to a bow in the top. It already withstood 65 mph winds we got a couple weeks ago. The bow keeps all the rain off the tarp. Hard to see the bow in this pic but it's there. Lol
20240506_080800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom