EsqChick

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Oakland, CA
Hi All,

Inspired by this thread from @JerryR708 ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pawhut-chicken-coop.1219726/#post-19503657 ) my husband and I spent about 4 weeks working on our Pawhut 144" coop with attached run (we have limited time so spent a few hours here and hour there). We painted/sealed the coop and all run parts, built a 4' extension which is covered on the side that faces our heaviest sun (we have a western facing backyard so from noon on LOTS of sun), covered the rest of the run with UV protecting clear panels, changed the hardware (including putting hinges on the ramp for ease of cleaning), bought an automatic coop door (Chicken Guard is awesome!), sealed all gaps with caulking and used hardware cloth under the entire run plus made an apron (that's on top of our coop being on a raised planter bed which is half full with old logs for drainage and bulk - we have an EXTREMELY sloped backyard). I am really pleased with the coop and it seems like it will be great for our 4 ladies even when they are full grown. I cannot imagine having more than 4, maybe 5 chooks in the run even with the extension.

I know some day we'll need/want to build a bigger, better coop ourselves, but for those with limited time, skill and bravery to take on the task, I feel that the prefab coops can be a good option, at least for a bit. Thanks Jerry for your help and guidance!
IMG_5158.jpg
IMG_5159.jpg
IMG_5186.jpg
IMG_5436.jpg

Very nice. I am always amazed by what some do to the prefabs. Is the run a prefab or did you build from scratch? Do you have an auto chicken door? Which one did you go with?

[QUOTE="EsqChick, post: 19826113, member: 502897"Not yet. I do intend to put a higher roosting bar or maybe some sort of ladder system for roosting though.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the point of a ladder roost, they will all want to be on the top rung. Make sure the roost is at least 12" from any wall and for every foot of height make sure they have 18" per foot of clear landing space.

The best thing you can do with a coop like that is to move the nest box to the run and just have roost(s) in there.

nbmk3-09.jpg

JT

I don't want to burst your bubble, because you've got a great set up! We did something similar and built a run on to our pre-fab house. It only lasted two seasons for our four girls. Literally fell apart. :( Hopefully you have better luck!

coop.jpg

Here is what we ended up building just two weeks ago! The girls love it and it really wasn't that difficult.

Finished Coop.jpg

K

Last edited:
Your coop/run turned out fantastic! Looks like you had to do a lot of prep work on that slope just to make a level foundation including a retaining wall. I like the clear roof panels for rain protection that still allow sunshine. Where did you get the Chicken Guard automatic door and how much was it? The clear roof and the Chicken Guard are options that I would like to add to my coop. Just came back to the BYC forum after being away for 9 months. Thanks for mentioning me on this thread...:)

Back
Top Bottom