Pics
Argh, so frustrating I don't get notices for this thread. I've missed so much.

I get my lids by the sleeve here: https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=canning+lids
Made in America - so far so good!

Not MY harvest, but anybody here buy beef by the quarter or half cow? I'm interested in knowing what your cost is. I have a local butcher with there own farm/livestock who is well give me a quarter cow processed to my request and aged 30 days for $800. It seems with it to me but I want to price check.
My 1/2 cow is hanging as we speak, I'll be picking it up on Sat I believe. I'll let you know then what it cost. I think last year it cost me like $1200 butchered, hung, vacuum packed & frozen. But I'll get back to you with exact prices per lb. We do a half every year, feels good to have grass fed, local beef in the freezer.

I bought a package of pickling salt. I plan to try waterglassing some eggs later this year. Has anyone done that?
You need pickling lime for water glass eggs, not pickling salt. I bought the stuff today to try it myself
Maybe it was on the baking thread, but someone recently posted how to pressure can beans.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an electric pressure canner. I have a stovetop one, but would have to get it checked. Then there's the whole "watch it for a long time," and wait-wait-wait for the everything to cool, etc. I like the idea of one that can be on the counter and I can go do something else.

@wyoDreamer, how do you like yours? Have you used it yet? I was looking at the Presto one, and it's $329 on Amazon. Wonder if it's cheaper in a store...?
I have the Carey(Nesco) pressure canner and I love it! Have had it for years. It also pressure cooks, browns, steams, water bath cans, and is a slow cooker. The thing is a power house!

Attachments

• s-l300.png
    s-l300.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
You need pickling lime for water glass eggs, not pickling salt. I bought the stuff today to try it myself

I have the Carey(Nesco) pressure canner and I love it! Have had it for years. It also pressure cooks, browns, steams, water bath cans, and is a slow cooker. The thing is a power house!
This is the one I have - the Nesco. So far so good. I've canned a bunch of broth & I did lose 2 quarts of broth, but who knows why. I've pressure cooked dinner & dessert in it too, not sure it saves any work or dishes or anything so I'm not sure how much I'll use it for that. But I bought it to can as I have a glass top stove & I find it very simple to use for that.

I'm going to try & can some chicken in the next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom