I have left mine on. It helps to keep the shape of the tomato and has nutrients that you would lose if you peeled them. And saves time
I did for exactly these reasons. I think of mine as tomato-raisins and call them "tomaisins," like dried cranberries are Craisins.

I cut them in half and dry them skin side down. When you eat them, they're sweeter than the tomatoes were, but don't expect fruit level sweetness.

Oh, you eat them as snacks - just straight like a box of raisins?

How else do you use them?

I've never used sun dried tomatoes, so don't have much idea how to use them. Technically, I tried a bag or two many years ago - not very successfully - so not "never".

I could do a search but it is nice to hear how real people like to use them.

How do you store them? How long do they keep?
I condition them by putting them in a jar and putting a lid on. Every day for about a week I shake them up and make sure there is no condensation on the sides of the jar. If there is, they need dehydrated more. If no extra moisture, I throw a dessicant packet in there and put them on my basement shelves by my other saved foods. This is the first year I've done tomatoes so I don't know how long they store. I've had apples, bananas, and strawberries keep for months though. Ate them before they went bad

I've never used sun dried tomatoes, so don't have much idea how to use them. Technically, I tried a bag or two many years ago - not very successfully - so not "never".

I could do a search but it is nice to hear how real people like to use them.
I plan on using mine in chilis and stews, give the food a little boost of flavor. I also crushed some up this year and made tomato powder. Same thought, to use that in soups or pasta dishes

I condition them by putting them in a jar and putting a lid on. Every day for about a week I shake them up and make sure there is no condensation on the sides of the jar. If there is, they need dehydrated more. If no extra moisture, I throw a dessicant packet in there and put them on my basement shelves by my other saved foods. This is the first year I've done tomatoes so I don't know how long they store. I've had apples, bananas, and strawberries keep for months though. Ate them before they went bad

I plan on using mine in chilis and stews, give the food a little boost of flavor. I also crushed some up this year and made tomato powder. Same thought, to use that in soups or pasta dishes
Thanks for the info!
I roasted some in the oven last year. Some plain, some with some garlic and seasonings. I froze them and used them in pasta, meatloaf, used some like bruschetta. So good they didn't last long.
I've always canned and frozen veggies. Looking into a dehydrator for use next season and ideas to use it. Never used one before.

I like the looks of the freeze dryers but not in my budget right now. They are pricey.

Thanks for the info!
I roasted some in the oven last year. Some plain, some with some garlic and seasonings. I froze them and used them in pasta, meatloaf, used some like bruschetta. So good they didn't last long.
I've always canned and frozen veggies. Looking into a dehydrator for use next season and ideas to use it. Never used one before.

I like the looks of the freeze dryers but not in my budget right now. They are pricey.
Yeah, freeze dryers are out of my budget

Started some apple sauce today and apple cider vinegar. I have never done the acv before, hope it works!
IMG_20230924_144017248_HDR.jpg

I've never used sun dried tomatoe
Yeah, I ate them as snacks. Thinking about it, I bet they'd be good in a salad.

Don't think I'll put them in my oatmeal, though.
Looking into a dehydrator for use next season and ideas to use it. Never used one before.

TSC had one on sale... still $2700. It was the middle size, and I can't remember the brand. I keep thinking I want one. I bet freeze dried cherry tomatoes would be tasty...

We've had several large expenses this year, so definintely not in this year's budget.

Yeah, I ate them as snacks. Thinking about it, I bet they'd be good in a salad.

Don't think I'll put them in my oatmeal, though.

TSC had one on sale... still $2700. It was the middle size, and I can't remember the brand. I keep thinking I want one. I bet freeze dried cherry tomatoes would be tasty...

We've had several large expenses this year, so definintely not in this year's budget.
Not a bad price as freeze dryers go.

We've had a couple large unexpected expenses this year. Just paid HO insurance and about to pay property taxes. Seems it's always something.

Think I can swing a dehydrator though. That will give me some experience with another storage method. Then see how it goes from there.

I think dehydrated tomatoes would be good for winter salads. I just don't like store bought tomatoes. I guess I'm spoiled. I use more apples and raisins in salads when I don't have home grown tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom