Problem with eggs (warning, clinincal photos)

Kura

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 22, 2007
Hello.
I've a problem with onagadori hen.
Her first egg was o'k (having maybe a little thin shell).
But second egg (after six days) is strange and horrible.
I Include pictures of it (posted on flickr.com)

Overall view
2129009283_0ed95be241_o.jpg

Detail of somethinh like a yolk
2129009539_3197ff24c5_o.jpg

Inside incompleted egg
2129008849_c6f4bae157_o.jpg

Yolk of incompleted egg
2129786366_86bdbab48a_o.jpg

After few hours she seem to be fine, but I would like to know what happened, is it dangerous for her, how to help her (now, and in the future), and what are the consequences of this event.

Looking for Your advice.

p.s. I don't know any good vet with experiences with birds in my place, and I doubt if there are any.

Interesting. Looks like the yolk came out with some extra tissue from the ovaries. Hope it passes. Could have something wrong developmentally that she might not lay well ever.

To be honest with you, I have no idea.. but if I was going to make a guess, it almost looks like her egg came out WITH the ovary ATTACHED.

I'll be surprised if she lays another egg, but I'm not an expert so IDK. Keep us posted.

Poor girl. That looks yucky and painful.

Meghan

wow!
i really hope that your little hen is okay. please update us and let us know what happens.
as a side note - your camera is amazing! although gruesome those photos have a certain vivid beauty to them . . .
may i ask what camera you have?
thanks!
f. weeble

Thank You for all Your replies.
So far, miss oangadori is o'k ( but it's only 24 hours from this event ). Hope she will be fine.
Pity if she cannot lay, but the most important is to have a fathered happy friend
smile.png

fallenweeble, i earn on photography from time to time, therefore I have to know some "tricks" and posess suitable equipment.

For those photos I've used Nikon D200 with 60mm Micro Nikkor. Lighting setup was two flashes SB800 with one umbrella (Nikon's flash system is very good). There was a little post-processing to make subject more "readable" (with Nikon Capture NX software).

I'm sure the same quality images can be obtained with any point-and-shot camera with good macro capability (eg. inexpensive Canons have a very good macro). The smaller camera matrix gives bigger depth of field. Then one need only one or two strong light (150W ) sources and some diffuser (eg. tracing paper) between light and subject. The second one can lit the scene indirectly (reflecting from a piece of white paper or styrofoam).

Regards

Unfortunately, I think a good amount of the ovarian tissue was pased as well. You can see the ovarian tissue, complete with the immature yolks of various stages, somehow attached to the egg itself. I am really mystified as to how this could have physically happened. I have never heard of this before and would think that the bird will be unable to lay again as it appears all of her "eggs" came out at once. It will be very interesting to see how this develops. I hope she does ok for you.

Richard

I was wondering why a picture of an egg would need a warning. Holy cow! That must have been hard on her and pretty disturbing for you!

If she seems to be doing well after 24 hours, I think that's at least a good sign. I hope she continues to do well. She is very lucky to live with some one that will still care for her, even if she can't lay.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom