processing roosters

it’s my first time butchering chickens and noticed that had them rested in ice water over night and I shrink bagged them and put them in the freezer they looked white like in the grocery store BEFORE going in the freezer. The next morning I opened the freezer and the same butchered chickens turn yellowish/red in the shrink wrapped bag in the freezer, see pictures.

What happened that they changed colour?

What can I do next time to keep them all white?

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi you’ll,

I noticed that some of chickens I was processing has this yellow stuff (maybe undercoat)on their skin, these were younger birds. Took me too much time to clean up the yellow stuff with a paper towel from the outside of the bird. It wasn’t fat because it was on the outside of the skin, I could be wrong though. See pictures.

Just curious what it is?

How would I avoid getting this yellow stuff?

Just curious
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I just wanted to follow up to my earlier enquiry and say thanks for all the advice and allowing the meat to rest was brilliant! It was tender and delicious. I actually ended up only processing 2, because we had a predator kill or scare several away. I kept 2, against my better judgement and now we're stuck listening to them crow every morning! Ugh. And I thought I could just let them get bigger and do it a 2nd time, but we're all growing quite attached to them so.... we'll see.

Hi you’ll,

I noticed that some of chickens I was processing has this yellow stuff (maybe undercoat)on their skin, these were younger birds. Took me too much time to clean up the yellow stuff with a paper towel from the outside of the bird. It wasn’t fat because it was on the outside of the skin, I could be wrong though. See pictures.

Just curious what it is?

How would I avoid getting this yellow stuff?

Just curious
Mike
Hi Mike, unfortunately I don't know anything about this. I don't know if you would get more response if you created a new post, rather than commenting on this one I started in July?
Out of curiosity, how old is 2kg bird in the pic above and was the bird a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom