prolapse update

hencam

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Massachusetts
I thought that some of you might want to hear the news on Betsy Ross, my bantam white leghorn, and her prolapse.

The prolapse stuck out about an inch. I immediately cleaned the area, trimmed the long feathers near the vent (not to the point of making her bleed, though), isolated her in a small dog crate, got some Preparation H and pushed it back in. A few hours later, the cloaca had again prolapsed. This went on for about a day and I was pessimistic about her survival.

But, someone on BackyardChickens had tried the old remedy of honey. So, I smeared some honey on the vent and pushed the prolapse back in. Like with the Prep H., the proplapse reoccurred. BUT after a day, the prolapse shrunk and then it went in and didn't return.

I am not sure why the honey was so successful. Honey is hygrophobic - it absorbs moisture - and so was drying to the prolapse, which probably helped it to shrink. it is also a natural antibiotic. And, possibly, the stickiness kept the proplapse stuck back in!

It's been a couple of months, and Betsy has not had another prolapse (some chickens are prone to them, and they do have to be culled.) If I had another chicken with a prolapse, I'd do what I did this time - clean, isolate, Prep H, and then honey. Let me know if it works for you. I'd like to hear from other success stories! (Or not, would like to know if I just lucked out or whether this treatment is truly effective.) Terry
www.hencam.com

A "prolapse" (actually it should be called a "prolapsed oviduct") is when the lower part of the oviduct turns inside out and protrudes out the vent. This happens when a hen lays a too-large egg, often when a too-young hen starts to lay.

Terry
www.hencam.com

I'm so glad that she healed up.
yippiechickie.gif

I used honey on one of my Polish hens in May of this year as the treatment for prolapse. Fluke or fate, she is still here and doing well.

I have a short journey of her treatment if you ever want it to compare to your plan.

...rinse off/flush the prolapse with sterile saline solution (boil a quart of water with 1/4 tsp of salt for five minutes and let cool)... you can add a few drops of betadine to this...

,,,the prep H should only be used around the vent (you can smear slightly to the inside) after you have pushed the prolapse inside...

...you can also use witchhazel as a final flush ... it is less painful than sugar... (dissolve the sugar in sterile water if you use it...it is VERY painful if put directly on the tisue)...

...if it reoccurs do remember to flush with the sterile water each time and wear disposable gloves if at all possible (if not be sure to wah hands good in a disinfectant)

Back
Top Bottom