One of my little chicks, the one with the good legs, her color is all wrong! It's like that quail looking pullet I had.
That is the one that hatched first, I think she is a pullet and the other one is a cockerel.
The cockerel looks like his color will be decent, but (like most) he has white legs.

In what way? It doesn't matter to me, I was just curious.
I'm not allowed 'strange' chickens and apparently crested birds make that list. Boo
Pyncheon's have a "tassel" instead of a "crest" (in my personal opinion, it looks the same as a crest, but this is based on my Pyncheon). From what I've been reading, hens typically have more of a "vaulted skull" than males, but I'm not sure if this is something that's typical of hatchery stock only or if it's just one of those "sexing tales" that have no truth behind them, only the luxury of a 50/50 chance. I'm excited to learn the sex of the chicks @MeanCheek recently hatched since they had a little less of the vaulted skull look 😍

20220905_105053.jpg
20220905_105047.jpg
20220905_105042.jpg

@NatJ Sorry I always bother you with genetic questions, but I'm quite positive this chick is from two mille fleur parents?
Which thing are you puzzled about?

I'm not seeing much mottling yet, just a white feather tip here and there. But mottling can take a while to show up (several molts as the chick grows.)

I would have expected a base pattern of Buff Columbian, which is not what I think I see, but I think most breeders select for an adult color that looks correct. So the parents might look correct now, and this chick might look correct when it grows up, even if it does not have quite the "right" genes. Chicken color varieties were generally developed by selecting ones that looked right, without much knowledge of the genes that underly those colors, so it seems to be fairly common to find unexpected gene combinations that also give the right adult color.

Which thing are you puzzled about?

I'm not seeing much mottling yet, just a white feather tip here and there. But mottling can take a while to show up (several molts as the chick grows.)

I would have expected a base pattern of Buff Columbian, which is not what I think I see, but I think most breeders select for an adult color that looks correct. So the parents might look correct now, and this chick might look correct when it grows up, even if it does not have quite the "right" genes. Chicken color varieties were generally developed by selecting ones that looked right, without much knowledge of the genes that underly those colors, so it seems to be fairly common to find unexpected gene combinations that also give the right adult color.
She looks so different than the other pyncheons. And I had an adult that looked like that, almost quail with a white spot here and there.
So if this chick stays like that, it must be something recessive?

Back
Top Bottom