Quack Quack need a little advice

okiechick57

Crowing
14 Years
May 22, 2007
Just outside Okc Oklahoma
hmm.png
This is what I came home to find in my chicken coop.... I know NOTHING bout ducks.......... less than nothing.like what do they eat?does he look ok, he looks sickly to me.........runny runny poop.milky? normal? any ideas and suggestions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated !
Picture481.jpg

Last edited:
I went to look at a friends ducklings yesterday to trade for some brock babys and yes there poop looked like ????Greenslimstuff?Lol....and I want to get a duck.....dont worry someone will correct us.....Mascove,right?

I don't know what he is but he looks sweet. Is he/she nice and friendly? My ducks eat my chicken feed. I also give them sweet feed. I know some people say not to but mine have been eating it for over 2 years and been fine.

Make sure you have a small kiddy pool or water bucket large enough for the duck to submerge it's head. I filled my kiddy pool up today and our 4 babies (6wks old) had a blast. It's been so wet here that I didn't fill the pool up until today.

Ducks are messier than chickens! Be prepared! They make a mess eating and drinking and plain walking around! LOL! I just love my ducks. I wish you the best of luck with your new addition!

Oh I forgot. His poop may look better after he has had consistent food. You don't know what he's been eating lately.

Yup....what a pretty Muscovy. He/she looks a little beat up....but really fat and healthy. Where did it come from? By the looks of those feathers, I dont think it flew in.Congrats...its a beauty!! They love cracked corn....greens...and will eat layer pellets/crumbles. My duckies get game bird feed. They need lots of protiene. Make sure it had a deep water dish as well. They have to dunk thier whole head under the water..it cleans out thier nostrils. Enjoy your quietest breed of duck.

wink.png
Well thanks all.....I am trying to load a video........both to show you the alpha roo meeting this duck...male?female? and to show you a little of how he acts..is it normal for him to rock back and forth while standing? I just "feel" he/she is unhealthy.but I do know the people who had him fed him only cat food and I am not sure he had access to a pool deep enough.He does now..... seems friendly enough until my roo decided he was a willing hen OH MY
ep.gif
, thanks for letting me know what kind he is and I am glad to hear he is of the quiet variety.......... will try the video again
he.gif

Ducks are like chickens. They want friends. He may want another ducky friend. My ducks have so much personality. My mallard duck, Momma, will quack at us when we pull into the driveway or come outta the house. They have quirky little personalities. His rocking back and forth may just be his personality or a nervous thing. This is all new to him/her. I wouldn't feed him/her cat food. I've never heard of that. Could be why it's so chubby!

With th e Muscovy...the rocking back and forth is normal..they will also bob thier heads up and down...and HISS! Its sooo cute...and they wag thier tails when they greet you. They can be very loveing.

Quote:
Oh I sure don't plan on feeding it cat food...........I don't do cats lol.......he/she is eating all the chicken and Guinea food.and will get special treats for sure.......thank you all......... one more thing....how do you sex these birds?

I don't know how to sex a duck. Something about drake feathers? Not sure exactly. I just waited to see which one of mine laid eggs!!! LOL!!!
lau.gif
The drake feathers are curly. Hopefully someone else can help.

BTW--my ducks love frozen grapes when it's hot outside. They have to fight the kids for them though! It's one of our healthy hot weather treats around our house.

What a good looking duck. If it follows you home do you get to keep it? Maybe I'll try that on my DH. I've been wating a couple of ducks, he keeps saying "no ducks!" But baby they just showed up here.
big_smile.png

Marsha

Back
Top Bottom