quail ear infection?

angelatoot

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2021
Hi, my button quail had a piece of hard black gunk stuck to the outside of her ear today. I got it off but the ear is all pink and inflammed. Could this be an ear infection? Or maybe ear mites? Or did some dirt just get in there? And what do I do to make it better?
^ i copied and pasted this from a member 8 years ago but no one replied to her but this is exactly what is happening to my quail, this is my first time owning quail so i’m nervous :(( should i make the black stuff out of the ear?
need as much help as i can get :(
thank you in advance!!

Pictures would help.

I would start with a damp Q-tip or cloth and gently start cleaning. That way you'll have a better idea of what you're working with.

I would need to see a picture to verify, but what you're describing sounds like what I encountered with a roo who wasn't sure what he was doing and wasn't very gentle with the hens. He was pecking their ears specifically (I think trying to make them squat for him), and the blood hardened into a black plug over the ear. Not red at all, pitch black.

Are there roos in their environment? Can you observe and see if someone is pecking at faces/ears?

697CD2FD-AC6C-40D5-91F2-6E761155842C.jpeg
A9B9BF62-810D-4CD6-845E-EA641EE2F3FE.jpeg

thank you so much for the replies!
you can see the redness, i wasn’t able to get a photo of the inside of the ear because i was scared i would hurt her but if it would help i can try to. i do have a male that makes her squat and you know but i’ve never seen him peck her ears but that might be the case. i will make sure to observe!!

It looks like a minor injury. I'm not a vet, and I'm judging from a picture, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would keep it clean and observe her for a couple days. If you don't see improvement by then, you may want to consult a vet.

It looks like a minor injury. I'm not a vet, and I'm judging from a picture, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would keep it clean and observe her for a couple days. If you don't see improvement by then, you may want to consult a vet.
thank you!!

From the looks and sounds of it my guess its from another one who happend to peck its ear been through this, i used this it works great on animals and quail and I trust nabiki's advice

Attachments

• 20220724_191859.jpg
    20220724_191859.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220724_191852.jpg
    20220724_191852.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220724_191856.jpg
    20220724_191856.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220724_191846.jpg
    20220724_191846.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 5
Wait button quail ??? How big is it !!
it’s actually not that bigg! i’m not sure if it’s normal but they are around 1 year old and still quite small!! but they are healthy and happy i hope :) also the ear infection has gotten so much better and it’s not red anymore!! thank you so much for everyones help!

it’s actually not that bigg! i’m not sure if it’s normal but they are around 1 year old and still quite small!! but they are healthy and happy i hope :) also the ear infection has gotten so much better and it’s not red anymore!! thank you so much for everyones help!
Thats good it looked minor like what I delt with , can i plz have some pics of it I wanna see how big it is thr pictures I saw close up might just be the angle 😆

Back
Top Bottom