Quail having trouble getting up and walking

SCOUT123

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
San Jose, CA
My female A&M Quail is having trouble walking and standing up. It was like this about 2 weeks ago but then she got better; now it's worse. What should I do? She's just lying there.

Thanks

I wouldnt take it to the vet. In this situation it is almost always a boink on the head causing the nerve damage. When its not a boink its usually either lack of water for a long period or vitamin deficiency. There is very littl that can be done for quail beyond keeping them warm and giving them some vitamins in their water (vita sol or sav a chick). Feed it crackers or whatever itll eat.

Not to be insensitive but...
Perhaps its time to put her... In the pot
She likely got freighted and banged her head on the top of her pen.

The kindest thing is likely to put her down... and say next...

I raise my quail for three reasons

1 I enjoy messing with them.
2. Eggs... (I like them. they are healthy, and eventually when my flock is large enough.. sale of eggs will bring in enough $ to help pay for the quail raising hobby, (food, electricity, equipment, etc.)
3. Meat

If I have one who gets hurt... I'll try to help get them better... then... if I do not see improvement... They usual end up as supper...

It turns out she has Marek's. I gave her St. John's Wort for about and she's walking again, just a bit wobbly tho :D
I'm thinking of giving her turmeric now; anyone know how to give that to quail s?

You could mix the powder with her food or water, or mix it with a tiny bit of water to make a paste and mix that in with her food. Turmeric is an awesome anti-inflammatory (which you probably already know).

Natural selection... sounds like a gonner... hatch out more... they replace quick... not trying to be mean... they hatch out much too easy than worth the time trying to heal a weak dying one that natural selection is taking...

Might have to take your advice on board as two of ours that hatched yesterday and today not only have curled toes, but also very turned in ankles, although one of them only has the problem on one. Tried splinting that one but so fiddly and keeps falling off. Both getting around well, but.....just don't think I can be bothered saving these two, even though that seems heartless. Have fixed quite a few legs/feet problems on quail and chickens and it's timing consuming and hard work, especially with quail. Just need a pep talk to build up the courage to do the deed. These were both assisted hatches as one was breech/wrong way in shell and both were starting to get shrink wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom