question about broody hen and her chicks

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
I have 5 chicks and their "mom" in my house. The chicks are 2 weeks. During the day they have a heat lamp that keeps it in the 80's and at night the light goes off and they cuddle under the mom. Today I'm moving all of them--with mom--to an entry room that is about 55 degress--I'll use a heat lamp to get the temps to the 80's.
The mom still takes great interest in the chicks and has not started laying again so I'm guessing that's this mothering is related to hormones. DOes anyone know how long she will be like this? She doesn't want to leave them. I am hoping that this will last another month so that when the chicks join the rest of the flock she will be with them. Has anyone done this? Will this mother chick relationship last? She will get out of their pool a couple of time a day (and tryed to fly up on my desk a couple of times!) but alwasy goes right back to them. Here is a picture of the happy family!

Image117.jpg

She will stay with them for about a month, maybe a little longer. Also, A heat lamp isn't really needed for 2 weeks old chicks thats with their mother. She will keep them warm enough.

I agree with rooster01...the heat lamp might make it too warm for momma..and make her wanna leave the pool. GREAT PIC!!! Love it! She looks like a great momma! Congrats!

the temp at the warmest place(right under the heat lamp) is low 80's--away from the heat lamp it's low 70's. Some of the chicks rest under the lamp duirng the day so I think they still might need it. Should I go by that?

Back
Top Bottom