Question about farm guns?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So to be fair, at the first I want to tell you I don't really like guns. I've never liked them. I understand why people have them. I'd hoped to not to have one. But you can't control when you have predators on your farm.

I was curious to ask if its possible to reasonably use pistols instead of rifles on a farm to get rid of predators? Can you do most things with a cheap pistol instead of a rifle against predators if you don't have bears to deal with?

It looks like rifles cost more. That's why I thought to ask this. I still hope I never have to use it.

Also, mostly it looks like people had rifles for back in the day when they had deer and bears to worry about. I don't see myself fighting off any bears any time soon. Mountain lions are here and in many states, but for those I'm not sure they'd actually go to where people are. And I don't hunt deer either. So it seems like if you had coyote problems, would pistols work for that? The most common predator in the southwest now is coyotes. My state showed in its records that last year over 2,000 coyotes had been 'self defensed' away from farms, etc. But the number for bears trapped or, dispatched was like 40 something, 43 I think(?) (Interesting how the numbers work on that.)

And people in rural areas people sometimes do shoot coyotes from their porches to keep them away from their animals. When I was growing up one of my friends, this happened to them every summer.

Also, here's an interesting thought for you. My state listed that it had about 100 bears in it at any given time. That number changes a little bit over the years but not much. I'm not sure what other states reports would look like. But for my state, I'd seen several reports, 1 this year, and at least 1 other year where the number trapped or killed was typically in the 40s also. Now the average bear lives an average of 10 to 20 years. Many can live beyond 30 years. So this idea that bears can be friendly seems kind of silly, because if you look at the numbers, in just 1 year its almost 45% chance that any given bear goes after people or goes to an area with people in it for 'food'. And if you factor in how long they live, that looks like pretty hard odds to beat that they wouldn't go after people ever, their entire life time when its 45% chance per year...

Also, the biggest farm predator is actually dogs. That's what the stats say, dogs. When economically things go south, then people don't want to harm their dog if they can't feed it so they used to take it to the edge of town and let it go. When I was a small kid, my family remembers 1 year (winter) that in the county over 300 sheep were killed by stray dogs that were running in a pack because they'd been dumped and then they all just kind of ended up together.

I also hoped by putting these kinds of thoughts together that people could also see guns aren't meant for mischief, and should be used only for the least amount of harm possible.

Pistols are great for close range, say up to 50-70yrds (IF you are a good shot) unless you spend good money on a good gun and scope. A cheap pistol would be perfect for dispatching already trapped animals though. As a hunter/trapper I prefer rifles and shot guns.

You don't need a big rifle like you would use for deer/bear or other large game. I'm a fan of the .22 long rifle for small game and pest control. Put a scope on it and you have good aim and range compared to the average pistol w/o a scope. Plus you are far less likely to accidentally shoot your own foot/leg. A .22 magnum has a little more power and range for coyotes.

Or you could go with a shotgun and buckshot. Overkill for things like coon and skunks but for coyotes it would work just fine. A .12 gage would give you decent range and IMO they are easy to use.

The best advice I can give you is talk to someone who hunts and knows their guns. See if they will let you shoot them and get some experience under your belt. Just getting a gun and planning on using it for defence without every actually practicing with it would be a terrible idea.

for those I'm not sure they'd actually go to where people are.
They will if there are too many for whatever rural land is around. We had one wipe out my turkey flock one year and another spotted multiple times on the hills connected to my college campus. Talk about worrying when you're small and walking outside in the dark

I'd hoped to not to have one. But you can't control when you have predators on your farm.
Sure you can.. with proper enclosures and properly installed electric fencing. You ALWAYS have a choice.

My family has been gun advocates.. we've only shot (dispatched) an injured and suffering animal.. and it was a cat that my own dogs got ahold of unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wear a .380 pistol with defensive rounds anytime I go outside. If I'm going to be in the woods I take a larger caliber.

I started doing this after we had 3 rabid raccoons in the yard over an 18 month time frame. One did attack a chicken. Realistically the .380 might not have worked in that scenario because it took 3 shots from the shotgun to get the raccoon to let go of the chicken because of the rabies.

It's tough to do yard work toting around a shotgun or any of the other options I have. Those are just inside the back door, or if I'll be out for a while I'll put one in a central location.

A rifle is more accurate if you want to kill a predator. Especially with a good scope or red dot sight.

I would not shoot at a bear without having a shotgun or an AR. You'll just make it mad.

If something is nearby but not attacking the noise will scare it off most of the time.

Last week the chickens were freaking out and the guineas were shrieking like they were being murdered. They were behind some bushes so I couldn't see what was happening. I was in the house so I grabbed a .22 and ran out. About half way to them I just fired off a round to scare off whatever it was. Then I noticed a hawk fly out of a tree near the birds. We are surrounded by woods with no neighbors so no danger of a stray bullet hitting anyone. So the noise of the shot is useful. We have also done that when the girls are upset and staring into the woods. We know something is there so we shoot a round. Then the girls calm down. So we know whatever was there is gone.

Depending on where you live many gun ranges will let you try guns out. Find something that is comfortable in your hand. Or as mentioned find someone you know who will let you try theirs.

You can also find decent used firearms at gun stores to save a little money.

Guns aren't scary. They are just a tool like any other. They can be used for the right purpose or the wrong one. It's just a thing.

Also, my husband bought me a semi automatic shotgun for less than one of my nicer pistols. So knowing where to shop is a plus.

Hi! For us personally we like having extra assurance in our defense system. I get guns aren't your thing but that's fine! We actually have a 4.45 Ruger Super Red Hawk. It's a revolver with an extra long barrel making it especially easy to shoot. That gun will take down a bear with the right ammo. I like it because instead of lugging around a massive shot gun I can just slip it onto my belt. It is less ideal for long distances to be fair. Personally you can pretty much never go wrong with a 12 guage shot gun. In my opinion that is a must have on the farm. Without a doubt you can take down anything you see, and you have bird shot or a slug option too. I hope this helps😁. Also, I think it's admirable that even though guns aren't your thing you are still getting one to protect your animals, that's awesome!

Since you said you're not experienced with gun ownership, I'd offer that a 20 gauge shotgun will take care of most smaller predators (not big game.. You'd only make a bear mad) and you wouldn't have to be the best shot. 12 gauge is more common but it also has more kickback.

Whatever you decide, please go to a gun range and test several firearms with the experts there showing you how to use it safely. Also keep in mind that a shotgun will spray. So if you are aiming at an animal further away, make sure you don't accidently shoot your chickens..

Hi! For us personally we like having extra assurance in our defense system. I get guns aren't your thing but that's fine! We actually have a 4.45 Ruger Super Red Hawk. It's a revolver with an extra long barrel making it especially easy to shoot. That gun will take down a bear with the right ammo. I like it because instead of lugging around a massive shot gun I can just slip it onto my belt. It is less ideal for long distances to be fair. Personally you can pretty much never go wrong with a 12 guage shot gun. In my opinion that is a must have on the farm. Without a doubt you can take down anything you see, and you have bird shot or a slug option too. I hope this helps😁. Also, I think it's admirable that even though guns aren't your thing you are still getting one to protect your animals, that's awesome!
Since you're not experienced with guns I'd recommend going to YouTube college😂. Look up "Gun handling etiquette" or "How to safely handle a pistol/ rifle(whatever you buy)".

The best advice I can give you is talk to someone who hunts and knows their guns. See if they will let you shoot them and get some experience under your belt. Just getting a gun and planning on using it for defence without every actually practicing with it would be a terrible idea.
Very good advice.

If you have some friends who have guns, ask them to give you some lessons. Offer to buy the ammo; ammo isn't as cheap and plentiful as in the old days.

A good gun to have is one that you can shoot well. Not my favorite gun. Not your friend's favorite gun. Not the one the salesman thinks will be great for you.

If that's a .22 revolver or rifle or a shotgun, fine. If you think in the future you want/need something different, you can get something else.

Some good suggestions here.

I nixed getting a 10 gauge shotgun as I knew I would not be able to handle the kick. So I wound up taking a handgun course from certified instructors. After classroom on safety and legal aspects for about three hours we had lunch then headed outside to the range. They had handguns available, from a .22 revolver up to a .45 semi-automatic. It was through actually shooting each firearm that I found out what I could and couldn't handle. So many recommend 9mm but even those had too much recoil for my arthritic hands, but I was able to handle a .380 just fine. And it's very similar to a 9mm. Be sure to feel comfortable with the slide if you choose a semi-automatic, some are very stiff.

Back
Top Bottom