question about geese

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
hi, about geese, are they as messy as ducks or are they more like chickens?
and what is the things people chould know before they get geese?

I am thinking of getting geeses but not sure, I own few breeds of chickens now but I have never owned geeses but I was thinking about getting another bird for meat in my farm and thought geese where maybe it.
I was thinking of getting muscovy ducks but couldn't find any here in Iceland but I know Iceland has some geese tho
also how are goose eggs, are they good to eat and do they lay much or?

Geese are big grazers and produce massive amounts of green poop. Unless eggs are removed they will generally lay a clutch and then go broody. They are a pain to pluck but are delicious. They have great personalities, and it is easy to get attached to them. :oops:

We raise a few geese for meat each year - and yes, they are easy to become attached to as a farm animal. They are full of personality!

That being said, we like them on the farm. We have Chinese geese which are a good dual purpose breed for us. The eggs from them are plentiful for geese (99 our first year with a single female) and are great for baking (goose egg waffles are a family favorite). We use a drum plucker to remove the bulk of the feather and then duck wax to finish. We enjoy the meat, but are still looking for our favorite ways to cook it.

They graze heavily, the girls appreciate robbing the layer chicken feeder every so often, and LOVE the water. They make holes anywhere a puddle forms. Like all our poultry they spread cow manure wonderfully and they also protect the yard. The gander and I have an issue from time to time (he sees me as the head bird and tries to assert himself) but it is easily solved. He is mostly honk as long as I don't turn my back on him. Chinese geese are noisy - they sound like velociraptors from Jurassic Park with their squeals and honks.

One year in and we are looking to year two!

Back
Top Bottom