Question about Heritage Turkeys

BantamFan4Life

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Quick question about heritage turkeys: if I raise them, can I keep them for multiple years to show and as pets, or will they get too obese and die (b/c they weren't butchered)?

They never really get obese, they still remain a bit thin in comparison to broad breasted varieties, I believe their life expectancy is about the same as chickens, they say they can live 12 years but most die from something between 4-8 years old, and a couple live longer.

They never really get obese, they still remain a bit thin in comparison to broad breasted varieties, I believe their life expectancy is about the same as chickens, they say they can live 12 years but most die from something between 4-8 years old, and a couple live longer.
Oh, okay. Good to know. Thank you!

So you're familiar with the personality, not the longevity. I hatch a couple out every couple of years to keep up my flock numbers. Though this last year I ordered hatching eggs from porters so I could get some fresh purebred without having to order 15 then thin them out.

So you're familiar with the personality, not the longevity. I hatch a couple out every couple of years to keep up my flock numbers. Though this last year I ordered hatching eggs from porters so I could get some fresh purebred without having to order 15 then thin them out.
Nice! What variety of turkey do you recommend?

They all seem fairly equal in personality, though bourbon reds can be a bit more curious, this year's batch, they all are curious and follow me everywhere, I pen them up for some peace and quiet. I would just pick whatever colors interest you.

Back
Top Bottom