Question about keeping Broad Breasted turkey warm in extremely cold winter climate.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

We heat our coop 5'x12' coop with a 400-watt oil-filled radiator heater. On nearly its lowest setting, it will keep our coop to 40F, except we have to turn it up a tish when it goes below zero. This one can get a bit too hot to touch, so we have it on a shelf behind wire so chickens can't get to it. If it would ever tip over, it's got a safety feature to shut off, or if it overheats, it will shut off. We've run this one for eight years without an issue. I have one of these under my desk too.

I'll put links in the pictures so you can see them at TSC. They could be cheaper elsewhere as I didn't shop around.

1729194861649.png

For the hutches in the temp/breeding coops, we put a 200-watt Cozy Coop radiant heater in those. It's a bit thinner and smaller than the NewAir above, and it doesn't get hot. These aren't meant to heat an area, but they are to just be there in case the birds get a chill, then they can go stand/lay by them.

1729195165804.png

Even with the NewAir keeping the coop to 40F, the 5-gallon waterer near the floor has gotten ice on it, so we have a Cozy Coop behind it.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

We heat our coop 5'x12' coop with a 400-watt oil-filled radiator heater. On nearly its lowest setting, it will keep our coop to 40F, except we have to turn it up a tish when it goes below zero. This one can get a bit too hot to touch, so we have it on a shelf behind wire so chickens can't get to it. If it would ever tip over, it's got a safety feature to shut off, or if it overheats, it will shut off. We've run this one for eight years without an issue. I have one of these under my desk too.

I'll put links in the pictures so you can see them at TSC. They could be cheaper elsewhere as I didn't shop around.

View attachment 3967236

For the hutches in the temp/breeding coops, we put a 200-watt Cozy Coop radiant heater in those. It's a bit thinner and smaller than the NewAir above, and it doesn't get hot. These aren't meant to heat an area, but they are to just be there in case the birds get a chill, then they can go stand/lay by them.

View attachment 3967248

Even with the NewAir keeping the coop to 40F, the 5-gallon waterer near the floor has gotten ice on it, so we have a Cozy Coop behind it.
Wow, thank you so very much! This is so helpful. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. You all are absolutely amazing in this group and I can't tell you how nice it is to get good advice and not be shamed for keeping Halo. I feel so much better and I look forward to paying it forward with others in this group. :)

Panel heaters are safe to use in the coop and some are adjustable. Mine runs 75watts or 150watts. It gets pretty darn warm but never hot enough to start a fire.

20170814_085934.jpg

Thank you so much for your response. With those panels, if they touch the bedding or the ground, are they safe? I don't mean to sound ignorant on them, I am just so afraid of fire. I didn't think I would have to go with a heating option, as I believed all of the steps I planned would be good for Halo. Is there a brand in particular that you recommend to be safe? I absolutely appreciate your time.
here’s one with a review by @Miss Lydia https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/sweeter-heater.12117/

Panel heaters are safe to use in the coop and some are adjustable. Mine runs 75watts or 150watts. It gets pretty darn warm but never hot enough to start a fire.

View attachment 3967265
Thank you for the picture with your bird and how you have it placed. I think this may work wonderful for Halo and the coop setup. I really appreciate it. :) You have a beautiful bird. <3

It sounds like you and Halo are real sweethearts. I think he is in good hands and you seem off to a great start with some great advice here. I hope you keep us posted on how he does this winter! Welcome to BackYard Chickens!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I love Halo so very much and I try to do everything right. I will certainly post updates. I'm grateful to all of you. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom