R15 insulation in Vermont?

MshVT

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
I have built my new coop and want to insulate with rockwool. The problem I’m finding is the only insulation available right now is R15. Is this enough for my coop? My plan is not to heat (except for extreme temperature drops) in the winter and the coop will not be drafty. Thank you for your advice.

I have built my new coop and want to insulate with rockwool. The problem I’m finding is the only insulation available right now is R15. Is this enough for my coop? My plan is not to heat (except for extreme temperature drops) in the winter and the coop will not be drafty. Thank you for your advice.
You don't need insulation AT ALL.
What you need to keep the birds warm in the winter is LOTS of ventilation in a very DRY coop and keep drafts that are strong enough to open feathers off roosted birds. Send them to roost with full crops and they keep themselves toasty warm.
Think like a bird, not a hairless mammal.

I also live in VT, have raised chickens for over 30 years and have never insulated or heated my chicken coop. There are no drafts that hit the chickens when it is closed up for the night, although there is ventilation from under the open rafters in the back of the roof all year long.

Back
Top Bottom