Rabbit with flaky ears

It's ear mites and animals who are in close contact will often pass them to each other...and yes, you can treat all your animals the same way. That flaky skin contains mites and mite eggs, when your rabbit scratches its ears and/or shakes its head, they get dispersed. To make it harder for them to get dispersed, after you've put the drops in the ears, massage oil into the flaky part of the ears as it will help to coat and smother the mites. You'll need to keep your rabbits cage and food dishes very clean in order to relieve your rabbit of the mite problem quickly. In about a week, irrigate and clean the ears again to remove the dead mites/eggs.
Best way to keep cage, bedding and dishes clean? Just wash daily? And I’m assuming wash the fleece in hot water to kill the mites?

Best way to keep cage, bedding and dishes clean? Just wash daily? And I’m assuming wash the fleece in hot water to kill the mites?
Just take everything out of the cage, wipe it down with white vinegar and let it air dry. Dishes and bedding can be washed in very hot water.

Here's a video on how to irrigate and clean - just use white vinegar for the irrigation process. I think the guy in the video goes thru the entire process. This is video #2 but I believe it progresses into video #3 etc.

Hold on a sec, I'm looking for a video that will show how to do it....
Also fyi the breeder gave him a dose of oral invermectin today before we left with the bunny and said it will fight against anything going on but said not to worry about that? Will the invermectin do the trick? It was just one dose, he didn’t send us home with any!

How do you irrigate the ear? Can people get this? Sorry we are very new to rabbits!
Oops sorry, so I hear that people can get it but I've never heard of anyone getting it. I've had a run-in with ear mites on all kinds of animals that I've had to administer treatment to (including a herd of cattle) and I've never gotten them...but IF you do, the treatment will work on people too. :)

Also fyi the breeder gave him a dose of oral invermectin today before we left with the bunny and said it will fight against anything going on but said not to worry about that? Will the invermectin do the trick? It was just one dose, he didn’t send us home with any!
I have never used Ivermectin for ear mites so, I honestly wouldn't know if one dose would do it.

Hi, anyone ever seen this? We raise meat rabbits for about 2 years now. I have dealt with ear mites before, but there are no crusty scabs in her ear canal. Just weird flaky scales inside her ears (also some minor dandruff like flaker on the fur on her side). I had a rabbit with fur mites a few months ago, which I used ivermectin very successfully to treat, but that rabbit had no contact with this one, and is even in a different cage altogether. Could this also be fur mites? any help would be appreciated. We live in a very rural area with no rabbit vet anywhere close by.
Ear mites. Can also be caused by fly strike. Use 1% injectable solution for swine and put directly on ears. Just a drop is all you need. Will clear it right up!

Back
Top Bottom