Raising two baby roosters

Jen Minnesota

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2015
Hello. I wanted a break from hens this year and wanted to have some roosters for pets free ranging for bugs, and ticks. If they have no hens, I am reading that they should be fine? Question is, will they possibly get aggressive without hens, to humans? I enjoy the company of the birds all year round. Will they protect each other? It seems we have a lot of flying predators in our area. Im also worried what may happen to the ups or mail person.

Hello. I wanted a break from hens this year and wanted to have some roosters for pets free ranging for bugs, and ticks. If they have no hens, I am reading that they should be fine?

To all of your questions-Maybe, maybe not. I have serama bantams and the roosters, when penned together without hens, get along fairly well. Most anyway, but not all. Some roosters are very aggressive while others are not; towards other rooster-hens, and people. My suggestion is to do some research on different breeds. Some breeds are more docile and roosters more apt to get along. Also, roosters raised together tend to do better together than those not raised together. The presence of hens does increase aggression in roosters as they compete for the females.

Good luck. Again, look into the different breed personalities. A more docile gentle breed may be the answer for you.

Question is, will they possibly get aggressive without hens, to humans? I enjoy the company of the birds all year round. Will they protect each other? It seems we have a lot of flying predators in our area. Im also worried what may happen to the ups or mail person.

Back
Top Bottom