Ramp vs stairs

MakoMark

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
I'm getting close to completing my coop and time to make a ramp. I've noticed some of the Carolina coops have small stair cases instead of ramps. I can build either one and have many small pieces of 2x4 left over. I like the look of the stairs better then the ramps but not sure which the chickens will like better? Is 6 in height for the stairs ok? 🤔

I used to have a ramp, replaced it with a ladder/staircase because it saved me a lot of floor space (it was an 8ft ramp due to the chicken door being ~4ft off the ground) and I prefer the aesthetics of how I made it a non-traditional shape. I did used to see feet slip on the ramp due to the steep angle, it had traction rungs every 6". No issues with the ladder, even for a bantam silkie - 6" rise on the treads shouldn't be an issue for any birds except for chicks that likely wouldn't have access to them yet anyways.

I used to have a ramp, replaced it with a ladder/staircase because it saved me a lot of floor space (it was an 8ft ramp due to the chicken door being ~4ft off the ground) and I prefer the aesthetics of how I made it a non-traditional shape. I did used to see feet slip on the ramp due to the steep angle, it had traction rungs every 6". No issues with the ladder, even for a bantam silkie - 6" rise on the treads shouldn't be an issue for any birds except for chicks that likely wouldn't have access to them yet anyways.
I like the idea or having a shorter ramp/stairs. Gives more room in the run, and hopefully will discourage roosting on the ramp. Did you go 45 degrees or more like 60?

Did you go 45 degrees or more like 60?
Old ramp was maybe 40-degrees at first, then I put a cinder block under the end to lessen it. It was attached using hooks and eye bolts, so it could be quickly removed when doing maintenance:
View media item 7954372
New ladder/stairs are an irregular shape from branches to save as much floor space as possible for making a better landing zone off the overhead roosts, and for human walking space:

I have "stairs" though I don't have a lot of height to cover. Even smaller chicks seem to be able to use them just fine since I added bricks for boosters.
coopnew2.jpg

I’ve seen ramps that have pieces of wood nailed (or drilled or whatever) to it about six or eight inches apart. It’s got the good features of both ramps and stairs. Highly recommend!
I use the same set up slats are a little closer together, maybe 5". This is the access in and out to the coop.

Last edited:
I'm getting close to completing my coop and time to make a ramp. I've noticed some of the Carolina coops have small stair cases instead of ramps. I can build either one and have many small pieces of 2x4 left over. I like the look of the stairs better then the ramps but not sure which the chickens will like better? Is 6 in height for the stairs ok? 🤔
Show us the area you need to accommodate.
How high do you need to go?

I prefer ramps...all ramps should have cleats 4-6" apart.

Back
Top Bottom