Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Wow, Thankyou very much, Bob, for the compliment...I do have challenges as alot of people have when starting with a small flock of super rare birds, mostly in that there is nothing to compare it to...and very little other birds to introduce to improve the bloodline.
They are meaty, much more so than other birds I have raised (except for cornish types) and they are slow growing.
The little cockeral has been agressive since day one, seriously !
We knew he was a roo from day one out of the egg.
And he is a brick !
I hunted for about a year and put the "want ads" out on every web site I could find, and one day a woman contacted me from one of the New England states.
I will keep her identity hidden for her privacy, but I bought 6 eggs from her, I got 1 clear, 1 bloodring, 3 pullets and a roo...a very nice hatch...and she sent me photos of the parent stock.
She was upset that 2 eggs were no good and said she would send me more but I declined, I was busy.
When I had an empty incubator I contacted her again for the free eggs she said she would send, this some 4 months later, she informed me that she had sold the birds.
So that was the end of that.
I do not believe the buyer was into selling hatching eggs.
But I intend to.
And I would welcome any "standards" or others birds photos.
I have noticed OleMiss has RIW rosecomb also...and I hate that phrase "RIW Rosecomb" because there is no other but a rosecomb RIW.
Everyone have a great Holiday!!

Hi.
Just for interest some of the rarer/rarest breeds kept in the uk are..

Groninger Meeuwen
ploughing_match_066.jpg

Thuringian bantam

thuringian1.jpg

Ayam Cemani

a55xz2x2.jpg

Ohiki

marc055.jpg

Or native rares
include Marsh Daisy

_wsb_284x292_Marsh+daisy.jpg

dorking

dorking-chicken.gif

I have 3 Sicilian Buttercups that my sister gave me for my birthday. They are beautiful and geat layers. But, I have never seen them mentioned anywhere.

Quote:
You certainly won't be sorry - they are great birds, and you will never ever experience the stags being aggressive towards people, not even towards little kids. I only have this breed, and I'm more than happy with them. Just seems strange to eat the excess roos when some people are willing to pay top dollar for this breed.

I'll second that, I love my Shamos! Still new to me, but excellent indeed.

-Daniel

I love them! You can't keep the males together when they mature though.
66947_shamo22.jpg

Walt

VERY nice Shamo!! Either it is because he's black, which I don't often find in Shamo males, or he's just plain gorgeous compared to most. . .
love.gif
I'm expecting a beautiful pair to arrive next Monday.

Love the Thuringian bantam's - Very nice. I think beards always add so much more beauty to silver spangled and silver laced birds.

PYNCHEONS....I have raised this breed for about 15 years now. It's a very old American breed and is recognized by the A.B.A.. The breed dates back to the early 18th century. The only recognized color so far is Mille Fleur......I also raise 4 other color varieties. The breed has to have a small crest/tassel and willow colored legs to be pure. The Pyncheons and my Scottish Blackface sheep are the only livestock I raise anymore.....I started showing poultry in 1967......it's a love and passion one can not explain. I would love to hear from other Pyncheon breeders out there......Happy Holidays!!!! Regards, Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi from a Pyncheon owner in Florida! These little fellas have a way of stealing your heart, don't they? The pullet in my avatar is a Pyncheon. I sent you a PM.
smile.png

Last edited:
my "small" marans pair
8084_smallmaranspair.jpg

They kept flying away before I could take a shot (might have thought they were next for processing, LOL. I guess the sink location might have given the heebie Jeebies.)
Anyhow, I just mashed them down with one hand for about twenty seconds and then stepped back and took a single shot, Whatever you get is what you get, The little cockerel's tail is picked off by the BLRW.

Back
Top Bottom