Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

For comparison with some BIG ducks - the duck with all the caruncling on the left is around 13+ lbs.

I think my not so little cockerel is going to be nice when he fills out. And, while his legs look spindly, it's really because of the rest of him, those shanks are really quite fat.

!

For comparison with some BIG ducks - the duck with all the caruncling on the left is around 13+ lbs.

I think my not so little cockerel is going to be nice when he fills out. And, while his legs look spindly, it's really because of the rest of him, those shanks are really quite fat.

!
Not too bad!

I just recently found my scales again, but have not weighed anything for a long while. They are Berkley digital fish scales, which I use with a tote bag to weigh birds. They are accurate within 1 oz and birds stay calm in the dark of the bag.

I messed up somehow and did not send this post earlier. These two babies, a cockerel and pullet, are 3/4 Cornish and 1/4 Ameraucana, so have a 50% chance of laying green eggs along with what I think will be pretty nice bodies.

Actually the cockerel has very little chance of laying a green egg, but a 50% chance of carrying the blue egg gene.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Those pure DC are a bit chunkier aren't they?

Do they handle wind and cold OK?
They do well even farther north according to those that keep them there. They have virtually no under-fluff, unlike the softer feathered birds that the hatcheries sell as Dark Cornish, but their hard feathers fit tight over their bodies. I would never try to keep them without a shelter though. Our weather here runs from the low 100s to 20 below zero, and they have done fine.

Here are a pair of pure DC chicks for comparison to the crosses above, though the pullet is younger.

Nice birds Cedar, I especially like their heads. I'm hoping to cross my cockerel back with the dark hens and maybe get some birds like your 3/4's. Cockerel is only just starting to crow, so I'm not sure if it's too late in the season to get some viable eggs from the two girls.

Totalcolor, this, or another cockerel that could pass as his twin, is the sire of my 3/4 Cornish, 1/4 Ameraucana; and their mother was sired by a true Cornish also. To be honest, they are closer to Cornish in appearance than the 1/2 true Cornish, 1/2 hatchery Cornish I've sold or culled; except the.pullet has muffs.[If the cockerel has them, he has so little feathering on his face that they don't show.] The 3/4's heads, feathering, muscling, and frame show a lot of Cornish influence because of using males like this one. The cross of Ameraucana to Cornish Rock pullets has produced bigger, better chicks though.

Totalcolor, this, or another cockerel that could pass as his twin, is the sire of my 3/4 Cornish, 1/4 Ameraucana; and their mother was sired by a true Cornish also. To be honest, they are closer to Cornish in appearance than the 1/2 true Cornish, 1/2 hatchery Cornish I've sold or culled; except the.pullet has muffs.[If the cockerel has them, he has so little feathering on his face that they don't show.] The 3/4's heads, feathering, muscling, and frame show a lot of Cornish influence because of using males like this one. The cross of Ameraucana to Cornish Rock pullets has produced bigger, better chicks though.

That's a truly nice looking bird. I don't know how close to type it is, because we hardly ever get any Cornish at shows here, so I'm certainly no expert - I just know what I like.

So what are the Cornish Rocks? Are they a a breed you can buy, or something you cross yourself? I know some hatcheries sell "WHITE ROCKS", is that a related bird?

That's a truly nice looking bird. I don't know how close to type it is, because we hardly ever get any Cornish at shows here, so I'm certainly no expert - I just know what I like.

So what are the Cornish Rocks? Are they a a breed you can buy, or something you cross yourself? I know some hatcheries sell "WHITE ROCKS", is that a related bird?
Are you pulling my leg?

The bulk of the birds raised for meat by the people here in the meat bird section are the commercial broilers sold as Cornish Rock, Cornish Cross, Jumbo Cornish, etc., etc.. Most here call them CX. They are ready for processing as broilers at 7 to 8 weeks of age, and start suffering from the rapid growth related health issues by that age. Of course, by cutting back the amount of feed they are allowed to consume, they grow slower and can live much longer. I just restricted their feed enough to get them to breeding age. They still start developing heart disease by the time they're one year old.

White Rocks are white Plymouth Rocks, but those sold by the hatcheries fall short of looking like true, pure bred, Plymouth Rocks. True Plymouth White Rocks are larger and more meaty than the hatchery version.

Back
Top Bottom