Redness on the back of my drake's neck

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
6 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
I don't quite know what to call it, but as you can see from the pictures, he's lost some feathers there and its just been this sort of redness, and some very little scabbing.

I noticed this, gosh, at least over a week ago. I assumed nothing of it, figuring that another duck maybe bit him or he hurt himself somehow. The tiny scabs I mentioned above where when I first noticed it, now it's just sort of red like this. I've tried pulling back his feathers around his neck to see if its some sort of rash, but it appears this is the only spot.

Does anyone know what it is, and if its serious? Thought I'd make a post since it hasn't gone away yet.

No other ducks in my flock have this.

Firefly's neck.jpg

Firefly's neck 2.jpg

That's what a female that has been mated a lot looks like. Are you positive that is a drake? From what I've read it is harder to tell with Muscovy.

What other birds is he with? To me it looks like maybe he's being mated or at least harassed by other males. Have you observed your birds for a while to see how everyone is interacting?

I do observe them, but I've never seen anyone really harass him. I mean, it could be possible, but he's definitely the dominate drake. (He's also the father of the other drakes) I know there are wild mallards that they interact with, too. I've never really seen any odd behavior going on. He mostly runs off with one of my hens for a lot of the day, as far as I am aware.

We currently have a lot of drakes because we have yet to get rid of them (they are not causing problems yet) but they'll be gone soon.

That's what a female that has been mated a lot looks like. Are you positive that is a drake? From what I've read it is harder to tell with Muscovy.

I was thinking that could possibly be what over-mating looks like, but he's definitely a drake. He just turned a year old, too. It can be hard to tell with younger Muscovies, but for a long time now I've known.

I've seen muscovy drakes with caruncles that reached all the way to the back of the head. Do you think it is new caruncle growth?

Back
Top Bottom