reptile coco husk? Go or no go?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
So my chickens don’t really have a run and just run around my garden. Well they have killed all the grass at this point so its starting to get pretty muddy in the garden. I wanted to cover it up with something so it won’t be so muddy. I have some reptiles and i had an idea of using coco husk (chips). As they are cheaper to buy in bulk then wood chips here. Here is what they look like.
686878FF-0C71-46C3-98E1-77AA9C17D01B.jpeg

I do hear a lot about mold and stuff growing in mulch and wood chips would this act the same? If it’s a bad idea i might just have to go with sand. At first i didn’t wanna go with sand because they don’t look too appealing in my garden.

This is coconut husk, correct? I spread some over an area that was damp from melted snow. There was already a layer of fallen leaves. (My "bark" was intended for orchids, but looks like the same thing.) It seems to act like wood chips so far. I just spread a light layer so I can watch out for any issues. The only negative I've seen so far is that one of my hens ate some of it early on. She seems to have lost interest, though, and suffered no ill effects. If you want to try it, I'd just start small - a light layer in a smallish area - and see how it goes.
Sand is usually not recommended in this forum for damp situations.

You might also do a "wood chip" search in BYC. Wood chips like you can get from a tree service are considered to be one of the best options for damp situations, and you may be able to get them for free or low cost from a tree service or your municipal forestry department.

I don't think mold is an issue if you're using dried, aged chips and build it up in thin layers. I have that in some areas, and it works great. The hens really like it, too!

Really?
How much....and where is "here"?
Im from indonesia. They cost around 3-5 dollars cheaper not sure why. Wood chip prices are unreasonable here…
You might also do a "wood chip" search in BYC. Wood chips like you can get from a tree service are considered to be one of the best options for damp situations, and you may be able to get them for free or low cost from a tree service or your municipal forestry department.

I don't think mold is an issue if you're using dried, aged chips and build it up in thin layers. I have that in some areas, and it works great. The hens really like it, too!
Hm never thought of getting some from a tree service. The wood chips they sell here are crazy expensive, especially filling up the whole garden.

Not sure about how tree companies work but from what i know, most of the tree companies here grind the wood into sawdust or sell them as wood shavings. I think someone i know works around unwanted trees. I got large logs for my aviary for free. Ill ask if they are able to chop the trees up.

They cost around 3-5 dollars cheaper not sure why. Wood chip prices are unreasonable here…
Probably because coconuts grow where you are so the crushed/chipped shells are a by-product?

Im from indonesia.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
Can be really important when people are suggesting products.
1640191291977.png

It totally makes sense to use what's cheapest and available locally, as long as it's not a problem for the chickens. You'll see people on here using a variety of bedding options depending on what's available where they are.

Probably because coconuts grow where you are so the crushed/chipped shells are a by-product?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
Can be really important when people are suggesting products.
View attachment 2936478
Thank you, ill put in my location!

Guessing they might be a byproduct here. Need to contact some tree companies for some cheaper products 🤔. If not, ill just have to go with husk maybe.
It totally makes sense to use what's cheapest and available locally, as long as it's not a problem for the chickens. You'll see people on here using a variety of bedding options depending on what's available where they are.
I did use fibrous coir in their nestbox as they seem to like it. They are really cheap here and are more easily formed into a bowl shape than straw and wood shavings. Its also kind of hard for me to get straw unless i get it from a friend in the countryside as i live in the middle of a busy city.

It will work great. Maybe better than wood chips.

I have not seen it broken up like that. We can only find larger pieces of husk here.
Great, when im back ill grab a few bags to try them out! From my experience with using it with my reptiles they should not cause splinters since they are more rounded than wood chips. Hoping they will work well!

Back
Top Bottom