Ribh's D'Coopage

He seemed to have been squashed in the shell & half stuck to it & then Wrold ate half of him...:sick Really gross but I expect there was some nutrient she wanted from his carcass.
I think this macabre behaviour is naturally driven by a desire to clean up the nest and stop predators detecting nasty smells.

A 50% hatch rate is not uncommon, especially with novices. If they go broody again, they will probably do better.

I think this macabre behaviour is naturally driven by a desire to clean up the nest and stop predators detecting nasty smells.
That makes sense.
A 50% hatch rate is not uncommon, especially with novices. If they go broody again, they will probably do better.
Oh, they'll go broody again! 🙄 It's a permanent state with this lot in the warmer months. I have my eye on Campine eggs [ as if I don't have enough trouble with the one Campine I have left! :he] but they're a couple of hours away & though I have a name I've yet to get contact details. Hopefully you're right & this trial run means they'll do better next time.

6 out of 12 is good. Even for trained broodies. Congrats! 🥂

I had so many different hatch rates over the years. Last time I had only 3 out of 6 with two experienced broodies. It made me happy because I have 2 pullets now.

Last year I had 9 out of 11 with 3 broodies. This seemed great to start with, but it became difficult when the chicks grew older (mites/space/roosting in the run/ 4 cockerels/ and finally nothing left). Still learning after 10 years.

Thanks, Grammy. How's Bob? He is missed.
Your babies are so cute ❤ I miss having chickens, so IM enjoying through you all and my new neighbors. His chickens come over and visit most days .

Bob is mostly using the wheelchair, as he says he's too weak the use the walker or stand for long. But he is okay, he's on a Kim chi making kick,gross. I will tell him hi for you and send you a private message, with more info

Your babies are so cute ❤ I miss having chickens, so IM enjoying through you all and my new neighbors. His chickens come over and visit most days .

Bob is mostly using the wheelchair, as he says he's too weak the use the walker or stand for long. But he is okay, he's on a Kim chi making kick,gross. I will tell him hi for you and send you a private message, with more info
Give him hugs from all of us.
Also, tell him the more he tries to stand the stronger he gets, so not to give up trying!

Happy Caturday!

20241019_153736.jpg

Back
Top Bottom