Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics
Our black hen hatched out 2 bunches of eggs...the only problem I had was the chicks don't stay with the hen..and the other chickens killed them as fast as they could catch them. Second setting I was ready and took them away from the hen.. Got my first pheasant eggs this year..was surprised to see one egg was blue??

I have never had my Pheasants with my chickens. They had a separate coop and pen. The never really used the coop. I had things they could get under and they preferred that. I believe post #1 has some great pictures of a great setup.
5 racks are pheasant eggs and 1 rack chicken eggs.

One of my young males in his favorite spot.

Our black hen hatched out 2 bunches of eggs...the only problem I had was the chicks don't stay with the hen..and the other chickens killed them as fast as they could catch them. Second setting I was ready and took them away from the hen.. Got my first pheasant eggs this year..was surprised to see one egg was blue??
Thank you! That helps a lot. What I will do is set some chicken chick eggs also, so they all hatch at the same time. Maybe the pheasant chicks will stay when the chicken chicks stay with the moms.

I have never had my Pheasants with my chickens. They had a separate coop and pen. The never really used the coop. I had things they could get under and they preferred that. I believe post #1 has some great pictures of a great setup.
5 racks are pheasant eggs and 1 rack chicken eggs.
We have our main garden and vineyard fenced form the deer and rabbits, that are used temporarily every year for chicks and roosters. If the pheasant chicks run away from their moms, I can put them in one of the fenced areas until they grow. What may happen is they all decide to live in the marsh (we have the perfect habitat here for them). If they stay we have a 2 story chicken tractor with a roost that they can use at night.

It's just by chance that someone local has lots of extra eggs, and offered some when I'm ready.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I hope you have the are covered. The Pheasants will fly out if it isn't and letting Pheasants loose is ok but sooner or later the predators will pick them off.
No, it's not covered, but the fenced vineyard has support wires for the grape vines which would be very difficult for a hawk to fly in. The problem I had in that area last year was one chick was eaten by a Blue Racer I'm pretty sure. One day one chick was missing, so I moved them all to a different area. I couldn't figure out how a hawk swooped down and picked one off. Then the next week I saw the Blue Racer dead in the fence trying to get back out, but he had a bulge and was too big to get back through and had gotten tangled. He was good sized snake.

I've never had a problem in the other garden either, and I don't leave chicks by themselves all day out there. Hopefully they will stay with the mom, but if not I'll make sure to have a safe place until they've grown some, then I'll let them free range. Thanks.

If you set chicken eggs with the pheasant eggs, Pheasant eggs take a longer incubation.

Incubation periods for birds
Bird Incubation Period (days)
Chicken
21​
Duck
28, Muscovy duck 35​
Canary
13​
Goose
28-33​
Ostrich
42​
Pheasant
24-26​
Pigeons
16-19​
Coturnix Quail
16–18​
Bobwhite Quail
23-24​
Swan
35​
Turkey
28​
Scarlet macaw
26​
Yes, I plan to set them at different times so they will all hatch close to the same time. There could be issues with them not getting along with the chicken chicks. I plan to do more research before actually going through all this. Thanks

Quote:
If you ever have had Pheasants , they do not like coops. PLEASE read post #1. They will get out if there is not netting or something over the top and you won't get them back once you let them out. They are not in any way like chickens. Good luck and have fun...

If you ever have had Pheasants , they do not like coops. PLEASE read post #1. They will get out if there is not netting or something over the top and you won't get them back once you let them out. They are not in any way like chickens. Good luck and have fun...
Thanks for your replies cmom. After more reading about raising and keeping the pheasants and chickens together there are people who have had issues, and some who have had no problems at all. One would just have to experiment and see what happens, but I'm not going to experiment with little lives. I'm not set up properly to keep them separate, so when my hens go broody this year they'll be given just chicken eggs to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom