Rooster is lethargic and off balanced HELP

I'll get a picture tomorrow. It doesn't look like the one in the link. It looks more like the pigment is gone. It isn't bumpy and cracking or anything of that nature if that makes sense. Thank you!

UPDATE: I have put a fan up and have his waterer with electrolytes in it. He is still very tired acting and is usually laying down the majority of the time. He does get up and walk around for eggs. I plan on buying him some watermelon as that is his favourite treat. Hoping that along with some other fresh fruit will perk him up some. Should I be concerned enough to take him to the vet, or does it just sound like he is dehydrated?

He should have built up immunity to the cocci on your property, but if they are exposed to new strains through moving to new soil or exposure to a new chicken, they can still get it. Symptoms of lethargy, weakness, puffing up or hunching, and diarrhea or blood in poop can be signs. Corid or amprollium is the treatment. Watermelon would be good for getting more fluid into him, and giving him an egg twice a day to get his strength built up are good ideas. I would also consider worming him with SafeGuard or Valbazen.

So I got him some fresh fruit and set him up a little area full of the fruit, eggs and grass. He ate all of it! I mixed in some of the fruit juice into his waterer and he went right over to the waterer and started drinking on his own and then went over to his feeder and started pecking at his normal pellets. When I went out just a minute ago he was on his feet walking around with his normal tail set! So far he is improving so Im very happy! He is notorious for sunning himself and falling asleep..so do you think he just may have gotten overheated?

Thank you again for all the help!

So I got him some fresh fruit and set him up a little area full of the fruit, eggs and grass. He ate all of it! I mixed in some of the fruit juice into his waterer and he went right over to the waterer and started drinking on his own and then went over to his feeder and started pecking at his normal pellets. When I went out just a minute ago he was on his feet walking around with his normal tail set! So far he is improving so Im very happy! He is notorious for sunning himself and falling asleep..so do you think he just may have gotten overheated?

Thank you again for all the help!
Sure sounds like it to me! This summer has been brutal with the high temps. Make sure he has plenty of shade, try running a sprinkler on low so it just 'hits' inside his area to help cool the ground...they love that. Put a gallon jug of frozen water in there...he'll likely sit by it to help cool down, too. Ice cold watermelon is good, too!

Back
Top Bottom