Rooster very sick, bumblefoot complications

Just wanted to add, once everything is all healed up and stable, with the advances in 3D printing, there are some sources that can make prosthetics for chickens. Might be an option down the road to help him not overwork or injure the remaining leg/foot. Do some searching online, or you may even know someone that can help. I would not try to use one until he's completely healed up, new tissue can be too tender for that kind of pressure.

Just wanted to add, once everything is all healed up and stable, with the advances in 3D printing, there are some sources that can make prosthetics for chickens. Might be an option down the road to help him not overwork or injure the remaining leg/foot. Do some searching online, or you may even know someone that can help. I would not try to use one until he's completely healed up, new tissue can be too tender for that kind of pressure.
I will look into that, thank you so so much!! that is amazing, I had no idea there were these sorts of options.

Sorry that it does appear that he will lose his foot, but it isn’t unexpected. If you use the amoxicillin, dosage is 57 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days. Use some probiotics afterward or before if he has some diarrhea. Continue he daily soaks and I would probably spray the dying tissue with either chlorhexidene or 10% Betadine/povidone iodine. Walmart sells Equate First Aid Antiseptic that is povidone iodine under $9. Continue to let us know how he gets along, and he should do fine. You can buy 2% chlorhexidene on Amazon.

Sorry that it does appear that he will lose his foot, but it isn’t unexpected. If you use the amoxicillin, dosage is 57 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days. Use some probiotics afterward or before if he has some diarrhea. Continue he daily soaks and I would probably spray the dying tissue with either chlorhexidene or 10% Betadine/povidone iodine. Walmart sells Equate First Aid Antiseptic that is povidone iodine under $9. Continue to let us know how he gets along, and he should do fine. You can buy 2% chlorhexidene on Amazon.
we've started to use the betadine on the wound + the neosporin, and if we can separate the pills into enough dosage-wise to last the 7 days or so, we'll start him on the amoxicillin today. He's about 5 pounds and a few ounces. That's around 285 mg twice a day, right? I just want to be sure. He hates the epsom/betadine soaks so much but it's good he's got the energy. Foot still looks awful. I think it will only be about 2 days if that before it completely falls off.

Update on Goose:
This morning, his foot is just barely hanging on, but we are not going to pull it off just yet, as there is still some flesh keeping it connected. He was mighty unhappy about his bath and seems to be in good spirits, despite being VERY MAD at us.
We debrided and betadine'd his foot, and also added Neosporin, then rewrapped him. He is not a Happy Camper for the moment, and he is begrudgingly taking his medicine. He has a good appetite and is still eating well— today we mixed up quick oats and four eggs for him.
As far as we can tell, he's doing about as well as a chicken dealing with this possibly can be doing.
IMG_20241015_110410321.jpg

We are deciding on prosthetics as well, but obviously we won't be purchasing any until he is fully healed so we can get measurements. It's amazing to see how many types of prosthetics limbs for animals people are producing now, and it's really helping moral to look them over and imagine Goose all healed up with a new leg.

That's all for today so far!

You may safely snip off any shriveled, dried out tissue. Avoid any live tissue. By removing most of the dead foot, you will relieve the leg and live nerves of the dead weight and possibly lessen any pain he is experiencing. Any remaining dead tissue will then slough off naturally and painlessly.
Thank you for this! We have never done this before (obviously) so I wasn't sure when to do it or if I should at all. We will at the next bandaging we do!

Back
Top Bottom