Rooster walking with his tail on the ground- Is it normal?

ArickaRoss

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2018
My 6th-month-old rooster has been dragging his tail on the ground since yesterday. I was outside watering my plants when I hear a big commotion of chickens (like they were being scared) and then my rooster starts running towards me with his tail dragging behind him. He's never done this before. Always has his tail up. He's acting the same and eating the same. He is drinking a bit more water than usual though. I posted some photos.
I don't know if this is serious or not but I just wanted to make sure! Thank you!

IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3422.jpg

This is what he looked like before ↓↓
10773374736_IMG_3039.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 43
I think that you're right to be worried. My chickens always squat or hang their tails low if they are sick or have a problem. Keep checking on him, and if any other signs of sickness, like strange poop, shallow breathing, isolation, etc.. think about taking action. Or maybe his tail was hurt if he doesn't show any other signs of being sick.

Thank you both! Now he's moping around, hiding in dark areas. I don't know if this anything but he's pooping a lot. Nothing looks wrong with it, just a lot. He's never acted like this before. It was overnight. I tried checking his back feathers, I didn't see any wounds, but when I let go of them they just fell limply. I'm really scared, I've never had chickens before.
I brought him up since he was a chick (his mom abanded him.) He was lives in our backyard. He's around other free-range roosters and chickens that hang out in our backyard. He sleeps in a tree with other chickens. The commotion I spoke of earlier might have been a fight with another rooster. But I'm not sure. He has been chased by other roosters before. Thank you!

Thank you both! Now he's moping around, hiding in dark areas. I don't know if this anything but he's pooping a lot. Nothing looks wrong with it, just a lot. He's never acted like this before. It was overnight. I tried checking his back feathers, I didn't see any wounds, but when I let go of them they just fell limply. I'm really scared, I've never had chickens before.
I brought him up since he was a chick (his mom abanded him.) He was lives in our backyard. He's around other free-range roosters and chickens that hang out in our backyard. He sleeps in a tree with other chickens. The commotion I spoke of earlier might have been a fight with another rooster. But I'm not sure. He has been chased by other roosters before. Thank you!
Well it may just be he got outranked by another rooster, and is now defeated and must keep tail down to avoid another beating. You may see him lightly flap his wings and turn away if a higher-up rooster comes in sight. That's another sign of submission.

Well it may just be he got outranked by another rooster, and is now defeated and must keep tail down to avoid another beating. You may see him lightly flap his wings and turn away if a higher-up rooster comes in sight. That's another sign of submission.

I believe that is what happened but I'll keep a close on him. Thank you very much!

Today he was acting really weird. He lifted his head in the air and started running frantically in circles then starts running like crazy ever which way. He only calms down and acts normal when I hold him. Also, his comb at the ends were dark red/black yesterday but now its normal red. Should I be concerned? Thank you!

Today he was acting really weird. He lifted his head in the air and started running frantically in circles then starts running like crazy ever which way. He only calms down and acts normal when I hold him. Should I be concerned? Thank you!
well that doesn't sound good.... I was hoping it was just him acting subordinate. This doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. Since he lets you hold him, can you see there's no obvious injury? Maybe it's time to put your questions on the emergencies/diseases thread since this is the behaviors thread.

The low back end can be a sign of being unwell, but often it is because of a social problem.
Strangely, cockerels suffer from insecurity much like we do.
Check him over for mites, lice etc and check his crop before roost time. Sometimes cockerels don't get enough to eat because a senior rooster will drive them away from the food at feeding time.
I hope he isn't otherwise unwell.

Thank you! I'll post on the emergencies/disease thread. I did check for lice and mites under his feathers and on the back of his tail but didn't find anything.

Back
Top Bottom