Roosters and hens in the same coop

I posted age, they're 20 weeks. All exact same age. All raised together since the beginning. There are 3 Cockerels... Only 4 pullets. Only 1 laying so far. It's a mix of many breeds and standard and bantam. The coop is very small. I'm hoping to build my own large one very soon. They free range all day. Only sleep in the coop. 1 Cockerel goes in by himself every night... Roosts same spot ever night! Our main Cockerel tries to get everyone inside it seems as he goes in and out seeming to tell them it's time for bed. For the most part, all 4 girls stay out and 1 Cockerel until I pick them up and put them inside.
Yes, your coop is far too small for 7 birds. I wouldn't put more than 2 LF or 3 bantams in that tiny space. Add to that the 3 hormonal cockerels, no wonder the pullets want no part of roosting in there. There doesn't seem to be much ventilation either, so if it is hot where you are that could be an additional issue.

Until you can deal with the excess males can you rig up a second enclosure to confine them away from the pullets?

I'll post a pic of coop. I will say though, that they literally only sleep in it. They free range all day.View attachment 2293845

Can you put a roost across that tiny "run," so some can sleep there? It's under a roof to keep off rain, and will have great ventilation (cooler in summer).

Depending on where you live, it probably won't work in the winter--but may help for a bit, while you're working on getting rid of the cockerels.

Obviously, if that "run" is not predator-proof, then do not try this :)

Last edited:
Yes, your coop is far too small for 7 birds. I wouldn't put more than 2 LF or 3 bantams in that tiny space. Add to that the 3 hormonal cockerels, no wonder the pullets want no part of roosting in there. There doesn't seem to be much ventilation either, so if it is hot where you are that could be an additional issue.

Until you can deal with the excess males can you rig up a second enclosure to confine them away from the pullets?

I have one rooster and 7 hens. I lost two recently The hens are older and grew up together and the rooster is only a yr old. But I have the same thing - one of my hens avoids him by staying in the front yard and won't go in right away. It was better when there were 9 hens. I thought we should have a 2nd coop in the same area?

Back
Top Bottom