Roosters comb is turning black

Heatherschicks1

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
Just to start my chickens have never been in the cold and the rooster is my alfa rooster.. He seems fine but his comb os fading from the tips inward srarting to turn black... Any thoughts ?

Not sure how well you can see it

Is this something you just noticed, or has it been that way for a while? Rooster's combs can turn purple when they are excited or stressed. If he is excited, it should go back to normal and will happen off and on. If he is stressed, it may signal a circulation (heart) issue. Since it is such a small portion of his comb, I am inclined to believe that he is just excited, but keep an eye on him for a few days and see if it progresses.

I try to keep an eye out for things like this especally since i had 3 roosters in my run. I removed one who was being beat up on and obvioisly they got his comb so i know what damage from fighting looks like. I had added a lot of girls to my coop when i was hatching had about 40+ hens at one time now inhave maybe 30... I had to kill one of my roosters the other day because he bacame insainly aggresaive ( killed him away from all the others) aside from taking some of the new hens away due to selling them... There really isnt any stressers... If its a defect i would hope to know sooner than later so i woyld breed more with him.

I might check to make sure it isn't blood, maybe from a fight, though it doesn't look like that from the pic. If not, I agree with KYT, probably stress, excitement or even illness. When some of my birds get ill their comb usually turns a pale or dark purple, depending on how bad it is. If you can catch him without getting spurred I would feel his comb. If it is really cold or really hot that is usually a sign of sickness or shock of some kind. See if he seems to have any pain when you touch it.

What is the temp by you? If it is cold by you and this is his first time out in the cold it could be shock from the cold or mild frostbite. In that case, keep an eye on him to make sure it goes away, but it will probably be fine once he is acclimated. Just make sure he has a place to go that is sheltered from the elements.

Hope he get's better!

I have a banty rooster that has part of his comb that has turned black, he was getting beat up from some of the other hens. I have separated him from the bigger hens. Will he come back from this, he is eating and drinking. He is now the only rooster and definitely passive. I got rid of the other roosters 2 weeks ago and have only noticed this problem a couple of days ago. Any advice will be appreciated. A worried mother hen.

My rooster just died today. He was over 1 year old and was the only rooster I had. His comb was progressively turning back over the the past two weeks.This am he was found dead. He was mating and eating and drinking and did not have any weight loss prior to his death. No signs of any parasites or injuries. What could be possible die from.???

My rooster just died today. He was over 1 year old and was the only rooster I had. His comb was progressively turning back over the the past two weeks.This am he was found dead. He was mating and eating and drinking and did not have any weight loss prior to his death. No signs of any parasites or injuries. What could be possible die from.???

maybe frostbite? it can cause a deadly infection

. No I live in Florida and its been 80 degrees lately.

i just read poor blood flow due to heart or liver failure, etc could have caused it. the organ failure could've been cause by genetic issues or he ate something poisonous. im sure there are a few other things that could have caused it, have to keep searching

Back
Top Bottom