Roosters!!! I only wanted ONE

I agree that this is good for the kids, and they will follow your lead. It is a bit hard to do, but someone on here posts, a good life with one small bad moment. Once they are done, it is easier. But I have been known at first to mix them up with bought chicken, so I didn't know for sure what I was eating! haha

DO BE AWARE, you have already had a warning, but they will attack children first. If you have never seen a rooster attack, it can be amazingly violent, some people tend to underestimate how violent it can be. I would not let my boys out there with out me if they are under the age of 6. They can easily knock a child down, and often a kid will take it in the face.

AArt - frequently does them between 12-16 weeks and still grills them. Personally, I like them in soup and casseroles, but not like KFC. A better taste, but a little more chewy.

Mrs K

Thank you! Yes my boys are 10 and 8 and usually are equipped with some form of protection. The aggression seems to be spotty, similar to teenage boys :D. We are making arrangements to cull them this weekend.

And personally, I love having a rooster in the flock...but I would recommend culling all of these. Roosters take experience, and people always have too many roosters if they hatch. IMO you get a better rooster if it is raised in a multi-generational society, with older birds to teach some manners.

When most of your girls are laying, ask at the feed store, or poultry club, get a rooster that was so darn nice, they just couldn't cull him. That would be a good rooster to start out with,

Mrs K

I love this advice! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom