Roosting in the wrong place!

wichix411

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
So I have 8 11 week old pullets. They all used to roost on the roost, like chickens do! Then all of a sudden when I went out to close up the coop for the night 4 of them were roosting in one of the nest boxes. The nest boxes are the same height as the roost, so I don't see why they don't use it. Then just an hour ago all of them were piled in the one nest box. Like right now, it isn't a big problem, but in two months when they *hopefully* start laying the nest box will be all full of poo, and somethin tells me that they are all gonna use the one nest box on the end, even tho there's 6 more to use. Does anybody have any idea of how to change this behavior because I don't want poo all over the eggs when we get some...

Thank you!!!

I'm hoping that it's just a "teenager/rebel" stage because moving the boxes would be impossible, and moving the roost would be quite the challenge. How high can you put a roost off the ground? Mine are just under 2'..

My tallest roost sit about 4 1/2 ft and that is the one they all go to. They normally want to be as high as possible at roost time.

Can you add one more roost pole?

Here is mine

33744_dsc04271.jpg

Back
Top Bottom