Run attached to garage help

Cg1979

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
hi, I live in an urban area and we dont have a very big yard, but we try to make the most of our space. I am planning on keeping my chickens in this area; it is 7 feet wide and 19 feet long. The fence is 6 feet high. I need to complete the enclosure, including a gate, and I need to put something on top to keep the hawks out. We have raccoons in our neighborhood, too, but the hens will be cooped up at night and only allowed to "free range" in their run in the daytime, so I'm thinking of just using chicken wire to enclose the open side and the top (hardware cloth is sooo much more expensive). My question is, what's the best way to attach some overhead chicken wire or netting to the garage side of my run area? Can I just staple it to the vinyl siding, or do I need to build some kind of support and attach the wire/netting to that?

Attachments

• 20220414_164227.jpg
    20220414_164227.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 41
I wouldn't attach to my siding, but that is me personally. Can you make the top an angle and attach up here the overhang more?

I know hardware cloth is more expensive but in the long run much more secure for your chickens. Lots of money to replace a flock if a raccoon or other predator does get in.

Also depending on how hot it gets where you are, I would make the top partially covered for shade.

Will you be supervising the day time hours they are in the run? Because I've seen plenty an urban raccoon out and about in my time. If you will be there 100% of the time, the chicken wire or netting will probably be OK. But if you won't be home during the day, I would go for the hardware cloth.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give better-targeted advice.

'm thinking of just using chicken wire to enclose the open side and the top (hardware cloth is sooo much more expensive).

Expense is a legitimate consideration.

However, you know that you have raccoons -- which don't always come out only at night. In an urban area you also CERTAINLY have stray dogs. Possibly coyotes. All those animals go straight through chicken wire.

Likewise another abundant urban pest -- rodents. They don't tear up the chicken wire (though they *can* gnaw through it), they just squeeze through the openings.

How many chickens are you willing to lose?

Another consideration is neighborhood standards and house value based on street-view appearance. Chicken wire is, honestly, redneck -- and I say this as a redneck myself. ;)

Put some thought into the look of the fence at the front. Green or black coated hardware cloth in a tidy wooden frame would be an assest to your home rather than a drawback. :)

My question is, what's the best way to attach some overhead chicken wire or netting to the garage side of my run area? Can I just staple it to the vinyl siding, or do I need to build some kind of support and attach the wire/netting to that?

IMO, it would be a bad idea to attach ANYTHING to the siding -- damaging the value of your house in a way that can't be repaired.

I've had vinyl siding done. First, it's hard to match your color so you end up having to replace entire walls or even everything. Second, it's $$$ for a professional install and challenging for even an experienced DIYer.

Better to run a line of posts with a wire on top to support your top netting.

I also agree that you'll need some shade.

hi, I live in an urban area and we dont have a very big yard, but we try to make the most of our space. I am planning on keeping my chickens in this area; it is 7 feet wide and 19 feet long. The fence is 6 feet high. I need to complete the enclosure, including a gate, and I need to put something on top to keep the hawks out. We have raccoons in our neighborhood, too, but the hens will be cooped up at night and only allowed to "free range" in their run in the daytime, so I'm thinking of just using chicken wire to enclose the open side and the top (hardware cloth is sooo much more expensive). My question is, what's the best way to attach some overhead chicken wire or netting to the garage side of my run area? Can I just staple it to the vinyl siding, or do I need to build some kind of support and attach the wire/netting to that?
I think you're better off with a hoop coop in that space, but expensive to cover with HC.

I think you're better off with a hoop coop in that space, but expensive to cover with HC.
I designed a great "hoop coop" type run using conduit for the hoops, but when I added up the cost for supplies it was about $600. I was hoping to come up with a lower-cost solution. But since I'm new, I probably don't know how to do it on the cheap. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't attach to my siding, but that is me personally. Can you make the top an angle and attach up here the overhang more?

I know hardware cloth is more expensive but in the long run much more secure for your chickens. Lots of money to replace a flock if a raccoon or other predator does get in.

Also depending on how hot it gets where you are, I would make the top partially covered for

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give better-targeted advice.

Expense is a legitimate consideration.

However, you know that you have raccoons -- which don't always come out only at night. In an urban area you also CERTAINLY have stray dogs. Possibly coyotes. All those animals go straight through chicken wire.

Likewise another abundant urban pest -- rodents. They don't tear up the chicken wire (though they *can* gnaw through it), they just squeeze through the openings.

How many chickens are you willing to lose?

Another consideration is neighborhood standards and house value based on street-view appearance. Chicken wire is, honestly, redneck -- and I say this as a redneck myself. ;)

Put some thought into the look of the fence at the front. Green or black coated hardware cloth in a tidy wooden frame would be an assest to your home rather than a drawback. :)

IMO, it would be a bad idea to attach ANYTHING to the siding -- damaging the value of your house in a way that can't be repaired.

I've had vinyl siding done. First, it's hard to match your color so you end up having to replace entire walls or even everything. Second, it's $$$ for a professional install and challenging for even an experienced DIYer.

Better to run a line of posts with a wire on top to support your top netting.

I also agree that you'll need some shade.
Thank you! Yeah, I figured it might be a bad idea to attach it to the siding. That white sided building is actually our garage, what's in the pic is the back of the garage. But I still don't want to damage the structure. I designed a hoop coop, but when I priced out the materials it was about $600, and I thought that was a little steep. So then I started to think of other ideas, but my new plan is a little redneck, lol. Thanks so much for the tips!

Thank you! Yeah, I figured it might be a bad idea to attach it to the siding. That white sided building is actually our garage, what's in the pic is the back of the garage. But I still don't want to damage the structure. I designed a hoop coop, but when I priced out the materials it was about $600, and I thought that was a little steep. So then I started to think of other ideas, but my new plan is a little redneck, lol. Thanks so much for the tips!
Oh! Also, we are in Quincy, IL. Gardening zone 6a.

Will you be supervising the day time hours they are in the run? Because I've seen plenty an urban raccoon out and about in my time. If you will be there 100% of the time, the chicken wire or netting will probably be OK. But if you won't be home during the day, I would go for the hardware cloth.
Thank you! I haven't seen raccoons out in the daytime so I didn't even consider the possibility. And honestly I wasn't thinking about when we're not home; I've never had outdoor animals before, so I guess my mindset needs a bit of a shift (I've only ever had cats and dogs, who stay in the house when we're not home). Thank you so much for the reality check!! 💓

Also depending on how hot it gets where you are, I would make the top partially covered for shade.
Good idea to attach to the overhang! And yes, I had forgotten about shade. Even more than the money to replace the flock, is the emotional cost. My daughter and I really don't wanna lose any chickens. I had designed a really great run (including shade,) it just was so expensive, that I started to think of other options. But maybe my new idea is not the best one, lol.

Back
Top Bottom