Run Away Guineas?

jbieware

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Silver Point TN
We live in the woods and the tick problem is out of hand. I bought 4 Guinea keets (2 months old) and let them loose in the yard. Well, after the first day they ran off and are nowhere to be found. I looked through the woods and besides finding 20 to 30 ticks found nothing. Any ideas on how I can keep guineas to stay in the yard???

This is my first experience with guineas...I wanna get some more
barnie.gif

Quote:
you can clip their wings til' their about 6mo. to a year then they'll know thats home and won't go far, i had to do that w/ my guinea he was a little escape artist, i named him alcatraz lol

I'm planning on keeping mine in the coop and a covered run for a few weeks and letting them out 1 at a time till I am fairly certain they'll return every night. Then I'll let 'em all at at once and see what happens.

I have my fingers crossed. Otherwise I have read they'll do just what yours did, and disappear. They've got to "know" where home is before they can return to it.

I loved my guineas running the yard, forageing for ticks....of course so did the owls, coyotes, raccoons, etc... Especially have to be carefull in the spring when they get the nesting urge. I would recommend keeping them penned then since a female will sit on their nest and not move to avoid a predator. They tried setting in spots all around the farm. I would find nests of broken eggs with a pile of feathers on top
sad.png
. I had 30 at one time, 10 original and 20 I hatched out. I then made the mistake of letting the 20 I hatched out loose after they were big enough to be on their own. They fought with my original group. You never heard such a racket until you have 30 guineas battling for yard supremecy. The 20 young ones must have won, because the 10 older ones dissappeared. I later found them about 4 miles away at a neighbors house. She said they just "showed up" one day, must have been quite a trip for them. She inherited some free guineas for a while...until the preds wiped them out. Then there were the ones who would stand along side the road and run out in front of cars. And I thought it was called playing "chicken". They were cool birds to have and fun to see out roaming around, but I now know why all the hatcheries sell out of them so fast...I believe those that use them for tick control must have to buy new ones every year...

Last edited:
i purchased my guineas as keets. kept them in the brooder till they feathered out. kept them in the coop/pen for a few weeks. then removed the top off the pen. They fly in and out and know where to go at night. They free range all day, eatin bugs:D

Back
Top Bottom