Run cover advice

What happens when you get wet snow and/or freezing rain ice?
If you can see the center 2 x 4 posts are slide into plastic drain tile pieces berried in the ground. Stone in bottom of drain tile so posts don't rot as fast and can slide in and out of tile easy, not permanently berried in ground. That way if I know something is coming or just that time of year, I can slide post out and place them on an angle relieving all the tension off netting. This drops netting too about 8' height with no tension and is giving enough that if it gets too much heavy snow or ice it can sag to the ground. Have had a little damage to a few posts breaking from the weight over the years. The key is to have enough height/slack in netting for it to be able to reach ground in center area too relieve enough weight to not do damage. Sorry for the long explanation but it is a key to being able to use the netting in heavy snow load and icy areas. It can work well but need to take a few measures to ensure longevity.

This is a pic of one of my pens with 2" knotted netting over top. This pen is 50' x 100' it has been up for almost 10 years now. I also have many other pens covered with the same 2" knotted netting and has worked great for my needs. As you can see, I put it over small building and small trees and shrubs inside pen. My height in middle is 14'.View attachment 3906824View attachment 3906826View attachment 3906827
That is awesome! What brand or strength of netting do you use? How do you keep the leaves off of it?

That is awesome! What brand or strength of netting do you use? How do you keep the leaves off of it?
Its 2" heavy duty knotted netting there was 2 strength options I chose heavy/highest strength, I don't remember brand name. For the most part the leaves fall through and blow off. Most dry up and fall through with just a little shaking of the netting. On occasions they may collect in a spot or two, with my netting having enough pitch they collect on edges. Just by pushing/lifting netting upward leaves are easily pushed off over fencing. If you have a real problem with the leaves collecting, I would think a leaf blower would make easy work of it, but I haven't had to resort to that. And as you can see my pens are surrounded by mature trees and there is no shortage of leaves in fall here. Haven't had trouble with leaves being too heavy for netting only very wet snow and heavy ice.

Its 2" heavy duty knotted netting there was 2 strength options I chose heavy/highest strength, I don't remember brand name.
Pinnon Hatch Farms is a commonly used brand that's probably similar to this. Their extra heavyweight 2" knotted netting has a break/burst weight of 115/305 lbs.

I use their heavy 2" knotted netting which is break/burst 85/245 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom