Sacramento New Member

cherylgladys

Songster
May 17, 2020
Sacramento, CA
Hi Everyone! It's bloody hot here. I mean in the last maybe 10 days it has been in the 100's, record breaking heat. Now there are fire dangers. This morning woke up to ash all over everything...from the fires. Not much danger here, but it sure has been challenging keeping my chickens cool throughout the day. There is some shade and I hose down the run area about 5 times a day, and spraying the chickens too with cool water. I think they are starting to like it actually. I have a big saucer they can stand in if they are smart enough to do it...I am doing all the things people suggest plus a fan. I have three hens, Tootsie and Marilyn are Barred Rocks, and Georgia is a Speckled Sussex and they are almost 6 months old. I am waiting for an egg, but I assume it's just too darn hot to do anything. I got them at 8 weeks, and they are getting pretty tame, except for Marilyn. Anyway, I am actually not new as I have been on this site alot searching for lots of ideas, but finally posted. Love this site. I could spend hours on it. Will be back soon. Stay cool everyone, looking forward to fall temps!

Back
Top Bottom