safeguard & ivomec for dogs

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
i was wondering if you can also use the same meds for dogs?

i use the ivomec (blue liquid) doe my poultry 1/2 cc (pour on) each bird..would this help with fleas & ticks? & is it safe?

safeguard goat wormer ..can this be used on dogs & if so any dosage instructions would be great

Be extremely careful giving ivomectin to your dogs unless you have the exact dose. Too much can kill them. I know of at least one dog that died because somebody wormed their horse and a small dab of the wormer fell on the ground. The dog ate it and was over dosed. Some breeds are more susceptible than others.

People use one-tenth of a cc per ten pounds of dog for heartworm prevention and worming. Many AKC breeders use it in their kennels. You can look it up all over the web. Use it monthly to prevent heartworms. Even in HW positive dogs, it can be used if the load is low enough, but that needs to be checked by a vet for the amount of load in a positive dog. In some shepherd/mixes there is a genetic defect that allows ivermectin to cross the blood brain barrier. In such a small amount, it doesn't usually cause permanent damage to the dog. But in larger doses such as those used for demodex, it can cause ivermectin toxicity, seizures, liver failure and death. As always, it is best to talk to your vet for medication choices. Only vets can give medical advice for animals. You can research your questions on the web though.

http://www.google.com/search?client...vention+dose&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

yes the pour-on can be used safely also for ticks and fleas and mange..I have used it for years,,but being I am not a vet I cannot give you the dosage legally it is against the law in MN for me to do so,,talk to your vet,most are happy to give you the dosage,,the shepherd breeds you may have trouble with are collie types and crosses,aussies, BC,some say even poms have trouble with it..

I wouldnt use the pour on for a dog.
It's better to use the 1% injectable, given orally.
The 1/10th ML per 10 lbs is the dosage for treating ALL worms, except tapeworms.
For Heartworms ONLY, you can just use 1/10th ML TOTAL

Safeguard 10% liquid can be used to treat tapewoms, given orally at 1 ML per 5 lbs, on 3 consecutive days

DO NOT use Ivomec on collie breeds

Not just collie breeds, but anything that might possibly have some collie blood IN it. They are far more susceptible to ivermectin toxicity than most dogs, and I've known several people who've lost collies and collie-mixes from ivermectin wormers (including both intentional dosing, and 'stealing a tube while horses were being wormed')

Pat

Safe Guard is fenbendazole, and yeah, it's the same stuff they use for dogs. For the 100mg/ml suspension, the dosages I've found call for 1ml per 5lbs of bodyweight for three straight days. If the dog weighs 50lbs, you're looking at 10ml/day X3.

That probably sounds like a lot, but it's literally two tablespoons total, across three days. The dose cap on a bottle of pepto is 30ml.

If you've got a dog with worms, I'd definitely go with fenbendazole first and see if it takes care of the problem. If that doesn't take care of it...I'd probably see the vet, actually. As some have noted, ivermectin and dogs don't always get along so great.

Back
Top Bottom