Salivating female peahen who is constantly waggling her head and trying to eat, but failing.

Nefera2829

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2024
My 1 and a half year old peahen is having trouble eating and is constantly salivating. She shakes her head sometimes, and seems to be constantly swallowing. We have given her Tylan medicated water and hope for the best, but is there any other good advice to give me? She will drink water on her own, but we do have to feed her, even if she tries to eat herself. She got sick about 3-4 days ago, and she does walk by herself to the water or elsewhere if needed.

Attachments

• 17269259628355267964478972957502.jpg
    17269259628355267964478972957502.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 12
I will tag @casportpony, and you may also post on the pea fowl forum above under forums, then scroll down. Can you look inside the beak for any yellow to gray gunk or plaques or a bad odor? Feel of her crop and tell us what is feels like (empty, full, puffy, doughy, or firm.) Does she have any mucus in her beak and any excessive swallowing , watery or bubbly eyes?

I will tag @casportpony, and you may also post on the pea fowl forum above under forums, then scroll down. Can you look inside the beak for any yellow to gray gunk or plaques or a bad odor? Feel of her crop and tell us what is feels like (empty, full, puffy, doughy, or firm.) Does she have any mucus in her beak and any excessive swallowing , watery or bubbly eyes?
Alright, thank you. But I am not with her right now, but I know that does have mucus in her beak and somewhat excessive swallowing, but no watery or bubbly eyes. I am unsure of the other questions

Any yellow crud inside her beak could be a disease called canker that is carried by pigeons and other wild birds. It stinks. Have you seen any fowl pox from mosquitoes in your flock recently? Crop impactions or sour crop can cause a crop that does not empty overnight. Respiratory diseases can cause mucus discharge from sinus and beak.

Any yellow crud inside her beak could be a disease called canker that is carried by pigeons and other wild birds. It stinks. Have you seen any fowl pox from mosquitoes in your flock recently? Crop impactions or sour crop can cause a crop that does not empty overnight. Respiratory diseases can cause mucus discharge from sinus and beak.
No fowl pox cases in awhile, and I'll check everything else once I get home.

Back
Top Bottom