Salmon Faverolles x white Ameraucana

Bananer86

Mother of Cluckers
May 25, 2021
Central Alabama
I am really trying to grasp genetics but it’s taking me a minute. If I cross a Salmon Faverolles rooster with a white Ameraucana hen will I get all Salmon colored Favaucanas?

I want to try & retain the white, I’ve searched for White Faverolles but it looks like they either no longer exist in the US or they are truly hidden now. I know my Ameraucana hen isn’t dominant white because she threw a mix of black & white chicks when bred with a colorful Silkie mix rooster.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Those offspring don't necessarily prove what gene is causing her white coloration. If she's recessive white, the father would have to carry a copy of either recessive or dominant white in order to make any white offspring. She could also make those offspring if she happens to be dominant white with only one copy of the gene. Do you have any pictures of the Silkie mix who fathered her chicks? Did any of her white offspring get any color leakage as they feathered in? Any pictures of them by any chance?

Recessive white seems to be the preferred gene in Ameraucanas because dominant white tends to wash out the slate in their legs, so odds are good that she's recessive white. The trouble with recessive white, though, is that it's not leaky like dominant white, so other genes can hide underneath it. Without knowing what those genes are, it's hard to say what her offspring with a Salmon Faverolles would be.

If she produced black and white offspring with a colorful male, though, that's a strong indicator that she's solid black underneath whichever white gene she has. If that's the case, and she is recessive white, you should expect to see mostly black offspring when she's bred to your Faverolles, with some color leakage possible. All of those chicks will carry recessive white, so breeding them to each other or back to their mother will bring the white color back out.

Neither white gene is sexlinked, so it shouldn't matter which parent introduces the white gene to your Faverolles.
Slight edit for clarity.

Last edited:
Those offspring don't necessarily prove what gene is causing her white coloration. If she's recessive white, the father would have to carry a copy of either recessive or dominant white in order to make any white offspring. She could also make those offspring if she happens to be dominant white with only one copy of the gene. Do you have any pictures of the Silkie mix who fathered her chicks? Did any of her white offspring get any color leakage as they feathered in? Any pictures of them by any chance?

Recessive white seems to be the preferred gene in Ameraucanas because dominant white tends to wash out the slate in their legs, so odds are good that she's recessive white. The trouble with recessive white, though, is that it's not leaky like dominant white, so other genes can hide underneath it. Without knowing what those genes are, it's hard to say what her offspring with a Salmon Faverolles would be.

If she produced black and white offspring with a colorful male, though, that's a strong indicator that she's solid black underneath whichever white gene she has. If that's the case, and she is recessive white, you should expect to see mostly black offspring when she's bred to your Faverolles, with some color leakage possible. All of those chicks will carry recessive white, so breeding them to each other or back to their mother will bring the white color back out.

Neither white gene is sexlinked, so it shouldn't matter which parent introduces the white gene to your Faverolles.
Slight edit for clarity.
Thank you so much! Here are a few of the chicks from her & the rooster.
Most have a crest & feathered legs but only one has had muffs, crest & feathered legs, the leg feathers on most of the chicks have been like Silkie feathers but the rest of their feathers are smooth. Looking back now it looks like she’s had more white chicks than black.

The oldest 2 hatched in April, the rest in June so I don’t really have any adults however I do believe that all of the offspring are going to be solid black or white as none of them are showing any other color leakage.

Attachments

• 38B2E27F-D559-48B9-B5E6-F68B0BA5A31C.jpeg
    38B2E27F-D559-48B9-B5E6-F68B0BA5A31C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • C67C8FF2-8C14-4615-AE58-9FB26A59B877.jpeg
    C67C8FF2-8C14-4615-AE58-9FB26A59B877.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • B66F259B-2CE8-4B75-93DD-75359DF46784.jpeg
    B66F259B-2CE8-4B75-93DD-75359DF46784.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 45B6F7EB-9925-4C58-9A14-604B9DC9AD61.jpeg
    45B6F7EB-9925-4C58-9A14-604B9DC9AD61.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 5A63750D-F7E3-4444-97DC-55DE0BB8C2F0.jpeg
    5A63750D-F7E3-4444-97DC-55DE0BB8C2F0.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Based on those pictures, she's recessive white and solid black 'underneath' the gene. Your Silkie mix must carry a copy of recessive white as well. The black offspring may yet show a tiny bit of color leakage as they mature, they are still a bit young, but yes, they should remain mostly black and the white offspring should remain completely white.

So with a Faverolles, her chicks will indeed be mostly black with varying amounts of color leakage possible, and all will carry a recessive white gene. 🙂

Based on those pictures, she's recessive white and solid black 'underneath' the gene. Your Silkie mix must carry a copy of recessive white as well. The black offspring may yet show a tiny bit of color leakage as they mature, they are still a bit young, but yes, they should remain mostly black and the white offspring should remain completely white.

So with a Faverolles, her chicks will indeed be mostly black with varying amounts of color leakage possible, and all will carry a recessive white gene. 🙂
Thank you! 😁 now I have another question about the Faverolles 😅 I know they are wheaten (can’t find the genetic codes at the moment) but I’ve read about some occasionally throwing a white, is it possible that some of the salmons might carry the recessive white gene as well? 🤞

It's a possibility! Breeding one to a recessive White bird would be the fastest way to find out if they carry it. :D If any of their offspring are white, then you know the father carries the gene as well.
Awesome thank you so much for your help. The Faverolles eggs are currently in the incubator I’m 🤞 & planning on next year’s breeding projects 😂 & I’m really trying to get a grasp on genetics before I start actually trying to breed. She went broody & hatched out the first few, I hatched a couple more bc I loved the head poof 😂 but now I want to start focusing on breeding to add more egg colors to my flock while maintaining certain characteristics like muffs. I love muffs 💕

Back
Top Bottom