Saxony Duck Thread!

I’ve been having lots of difficulties hatching duck eggs but I have managed to hatch 3 Saxony and 4 WH so far. I also have a broody Saxony on a nest. It’s actually her second nest as she let a chicken chase her off the first one just days before hatch. There were only two viable ones but they both hatched in the incubator. Including a dark phase one. I’m excited to learn the trait is not recessive. I tried to get her to adopt them back but long story short it went badly and they are in a brooder.

And even though my ducks are free range they are sticking to breed groups because all the ducklings seem to be pure Saxony or pure WH.
View attachment 1797195 View attachment 1797196
Aww adorable!

I’m thinking of possibly trying to acquire a couple more Saxony and breed some as their are surprising uncommon & hard to get ahold of where I am located. My mind isn’t totally made up yet and I have ALOT more research to do.

Aww adorable!

I’m thinking of possibly trying to acquire a couple more Saxony and breed some as their are surprising uncommon & hard to get ahold of where I am located. My mind isn’t totally made up yet and I have ALOT more research to do.
Yes, it is difficult to find Saxony ducks in most areas. In the last year I’ve been able to spark and sponsor interest in the breed here on the Florida SpaceCoast through the 4-H program. I have only one purebred Breeding pair right now having lost 5 to botulism last summer.
Of all the fertilized eggs sent to incubation this spring only 2 purebreds survived so far. I had other drakes in the past that were much more aggressive breeders than my Saxony, Herman, I’ve since re-homed them. Also have some new Saxony gene pool access with the 4-H program.

C922E30A-BD12-4341-99BE-498DE9909684.jpeg
B7D6E52E-4B60-404B-888B-CDB871A7E81F.jpeg
I’ve been having lots of difficulties hatching duck eggs but I have managed to hatch 3 Saxony and 4 WH so far. I also have a broody Saxony on a nest. It’s actually her second nest as she let a chicken chase her off the first one just days before hatch. There were only two viable ones but they both hatched in the incubator. Including a dark phase one. I’m excited to learn the trait is not recessive. I tried to get her to adopt them back but long story short it went badly and they are in a brooder.

And even though my ducks are free range they are sticking to breed groups because all the ducklings seem to be pure Saxony or pure WH.
View attachment 1797195 View attachment 1797196
I am so happy for you. I just arrived in Colorado Springs to pick up my grandchildren for summer vacay / surf camp. Wish we had time to come and see that adorable duckling.

You must be very excited to have a dark phase. Please continue to post pics as they develop. My 2 purebreds are now about 6 weeks old and HUGE. I got excited yesterday when I heard one distinctly quacking. Just so hoping for at least 1 female this time.
The light “phase” one is looking more and more Pekin each day - definitely had a Pekin Dad.

Well 3 Saxony are better than none. Are the other Pekin or White layers?
Pekin. They were fathered by my Pekin drakes that were sent to 4-H Farm earlier this spring. I’m only keeping 1-2 Saxony drakes now for focused breeding. I still have my Pekin and mixed Saxony / Appleyard girls to keep Herman company. I only have 1 Pure Saxony female left.

Yes, it is difficult to find Saxony ducks in most areas. In the last year I’ve been able to spark and sponsor interest in the breed here on the Florida SpaceCoast through the 4-H program. I have only one purebred Breeding pair right now having lost 5 to botulism last summer.
Of all the fertilized eggs sent to incubation this spring only 2 purebreds survived so far. I had other drakes in the past that were much more aggressive breeders than my Saxony, Herman, I’ve since re-homed them. Also have some new Saxony gene pool access with the 4-H program.

The lady I got my Saxony and WH from had difficulty this spring as well (low hatch rate) and is looking to find new blood. She said she was having a very hard time finding any for her breeding program that did not come from her own stock. She’s thinking she may have to go out of province (I’m in Canada).

I’m glad there are people out there like you trying to keep the breed alive.

The lady I got my Saxony and WH from had difficulty this spring as well (low hatch rate) and is looking to find new blood. She said she was having a very hard time finding any for her breeding program that did not come from her own stock. She’s thinking she may have to go out of province (I’m in Canada).

I’m glad there are people out there like you trying to keep the breed alive.
Hi, just wondering where in Canada you are. I have family in Quebec.
Anyway, I heard from our local 4-H leader that they will be looking to import some new quality Saxony breeders to increase our odds of producing more Quality Saxony ducklings next spring.

Hi, just wondering where in Canada you are. I have family in Quebec.
Anyway, I heard from our local 4-H leader that they will be looking to import some new quality Saxony breeders to increase our odds of producing more Quality Saxony ducklings next spring.

I am located in Alberta. I know there is a hatchery in Ontario I believe that ships hatching eggs & ducklings but I’m unsure if they are utility or show quality.

I have a question for all those who have raised their Saxony from ducklings.

Do the drakes at 5 weeks still have a prominent white eye stripe? I guess I’m trying to say do both drakes & ducks look the same until going from their 1st feathers until adult feathers?

Back
Top Bottom