Scabbing and lethargic

aswopes

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2024
Hello! My salmon faverolle was hangout out by herself often and I noticed she wasn’t eating much. We just had a major heat wave so I just kept her cool and watched her. Then I noticed a possible limp and scabbing under her beak. I thought she may be being picked on so I brought her inside. She will occasionally eat egg but not much and now it’s gotten to the point that I am tube feeding her to hopefully find a solution. The scabbing under her beak got worse and now it is all over her body, really severe in some areas. I’ve kept her isolated with food and water, given her an epsom salt bath and supplement with vitamins and electrolytes. I was thinking fowl pox but I am concerned this is a skin form of mareks. Tonight after her bath she won’t stand at all, just wants to sleep. Please help, I don’t want her to suffer.

Attachments

• IMG_4976.jpeg
    IMG_4976.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4980.jpeg
    IMG_4980.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 10
Hello! My salmon faverolle was hangout out by herself often and I noticed she wasn’t eating much. We just had a major heat wave so I just kept her cool and watched her. Then I noticed a possible limp and scabbing under her beak. I thought she may be being picked on so I brought her inside. She will occasionally eat egg but not much and now it’s gotten to the point that I am tube feeding her to hopefully find a solution. The scabbing under her beak got worse and now it is all over her body, really severe in some areas. I’ve kept her isolated with food and water, given her an epsom salt bath and supplement with vitamins and electrolytes. I was thinking fowl pox but I am concerned this is a skin form of mareks. Tonight after her bath she won’t stand at all, just wants to sleep. Please help, I don’t want her to suffer.
I'm sorry about your pullet.

I agree, it may be Marek's, but so hard to know.
It sounds like she may not make it, but do the best you can, see if you can get some fluids into her.

If you happen to lose her, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for analysis, this will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

It sounds like she may not make it, but do the best you can, see if you can get some fluids into her.

If you happen to lose her, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for analysis, this will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.htm

If you happen to lose her, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for analysis, this will give you the best answers. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you for your response. I actually euthanized her tonight, she was no longer able to stand or walk, and didn’t seem to be digesting anything. The food was just staying in her crop or coming out whole. I downloaded some documents and will be sending her into Davis to get a necropsy.

Thank you for your response. I actually euthanized her tonight, she was no longer able to stand or walk, and didn’t seem to be digesting anything. The food was just staying in her crop or coming out whole. I downloaded some documents and will be sending her into Davis to get a necropsy.

It's good that you are going to have a necropsy.

If you don't mind, can you please share the results of their findings? I'd be interested to know what was causing those lesions.

Hello everyone, thanks for your input. I sent my girl to Davis and got the report back today. It is in fact Mareks. They said there is also a fungal infection but that is secondary to Mareks.

Attachments

• IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello everyone, thanks for your input. I sent my girl to Davis and got the report back today. It is in fact Mareks. They said there is also a fungal infection but that is secondary to Mareks.
Thank you for the update.

I'm sorry to hear about the Marek's finding, but it's also good to have that information moving forward.

It looks like there may be some testing pending, hopefully they will give you a final report and be able to name the fungal infection.

Back
Top Bottom