Scaly leg mites or normal rooster legs?

sbergstrom09

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
Hi! Does my rooster have scaly leg mites or is this normal rooster legs? My other birds have smooth legs but his seem to be raised a little. My other rooster I haven’t been able to catch to see up close haha

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 3
Yes, those raised scales are a sign of scaly leg mites. I would do an initial warm soak in water and 1 tsp Dawn for a few minutes. An old toothbrush can be used to brush the dirt off and loosen any dead scales. Then dry well, and apply vaseline or mineral oil to the legs and rub it into the scales at least twice a week for a few weeks until you see new healthy scales. Make sure there is a dust bath available for him. That may be why he has them.

Yes, those raised scales are a sign of scaly leg mites. I would do an initial warm soak in water and 1 tsp Dawn for a few minutes. An old toothbrush can be used to brush the dirt off and loosen any dead scales. Then dry well, and apply vaseline or mineral oil to the legs and rub it into the scales at least twice a week for a few weeks until you see new healthy scales. Make sure there is a dust bath available for him. That may be why he has them.
So far he’s the only one. The coop has sand in it for the base. Does that have to be removed?

I wouldn't use a brush on the scales. There is a risk of damaging the scales further by pushing the crap that the SLM leave behind deeper under the scales, or in some cases I've seen, rip healthy scales off.
The scales have a type of hinge that allows for some movement as the toes and ankle bend. Older roosters tend to have old roosters legs and while the may look infected with SLM they are often perfectly normal.
The hinge is pretty delicate once the scales are raised.
It is worth mentioning that the raised scales will never return to their original position. The chicken has to shed the old scales and regrow new. This is the time when regular treatment (Vasaline, oil, whatever) can be most productive in protecting the new scales as they grow in.
A mix of betadine and vasaline (25% to 75%) is what I've found works well. The betadine is anti fungal as well as a disinfectant and will help clear away all the debris from around and beneath the scales. One needs to fully smother the affected areas in this paste; a light neat looking coating is not what should aim for.

I wouldn't use a brush on the scales. There is a risk of damaging the scales further by pushing the crap that the SLM leave behind deeper under the scales, or in some cases I've seen, rip healthy scales off.
The scales have a type of hinge that allows for some movement as the toes and ankle bend. Older roosters tend to have old roosters legs and while the may look infected with SLM they are often perfectly normal.
The hinge is pretty delicate once the scales are raised.
It is worth mentioning that the raised scales will never return to their original position. The chicken has to shed the old scales and regrow new. This is the time when regular treatment (Vasaline, oil, whatever) can be most productive in protecting the new scales as they grow in.
A mix of betadine and vasaline (25% to 75%) is what I've found works well. The betadine is anti fungal as well as a disinfectant and will help clear away all the debris from around and beneath the scales. One needs to fully smother the affected areas in this paste; a light neat looking coating is not what should aim for.
He is about 1.5 year old but my other rooster I don’t think he has any issues when seeing from afar. Putting that coating on his legs the sand would stick to it terribly I’m guessing. How often do I have to change the coating?

He is about 1.5 year old but my other rooster I don’t think he has any issues when seeing from afar. Putting that coating on his legs the sand would stick to it terribly I’m guessing. How often do I have to change the coating?
I re-coat every three or four days for a couple of weeks and then weekly until the problem is resolved. I Have found that chickens have a genetic propensity for SLM problems. I've had coops with one or two with SLM but absolutely no sign that any of the other chickens have got mites. For those that do contract SLM the treatment is ongoing for the life of the bird. SLM in such circumstances is rarely a one course of treatment fix.
You can check your other rooster by taking him off the roost bar (assuming he lives in a coop) at night. You will need a decent headtorch.

Back
Top Bottom