Scared to come out of coop

pdnarus10

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
I raised my four chicks in the house with an open top covered by hardware cloth. One of my chicks called ChiChi Was scared to come out of her coop when I put her in there for the first time. Praise God. It's been a week and she finally came out of her coop, but I had a cover tarp over the top of the run because of rain predicted today. I thought something was wrong with her, but she seems to be okay now. She's just a very shy chick, lol.

I've been opening the run door for over a week now so they can venture out into the yard for an hour before dusk. First couple days they just stood at door picking at the grass...they've graduated to venturing out 3-4 feet now. The scurry back in tho, every time my roo warns.

I've had all the chicks out of the coop and on the ground within 15 minutes of me opening the pop door. In the same coop I've had chicks not venture out for three full days before the first one did. These are broods around 20 chicks each. Same breeds or mixes. For whatever reason each brood is different even under similar conditions.

If there are adult chickens around they can influence this. Once mine finally get outside they tend to stay outside until bedtime. Sometimes I have to help them back inside at bedtime, they may want to sleep in the run.

Thank you. That helps a bit to know that others have had the same problem now. My chicken is going underneath the ramp. And just laying down, she's so scared.
Sometimes I just pet her and try to assure her that it's ok

I've had all the chicks out of the coop and on the ground within 15 minutes of me opening the pop door. In the same coop I've had chicks not venture out for three full days before the first one did. These are broods around 20 chicks each. Same breeds or mixes. For whatever reason each brood is different even under similar conditions.

If there are adult chickens around they can influence this. Once mine finally get outside they tend to stay outside until bedtime. Sometimes I have to help them back inside at bedtime, they may want to sleep in the run.

What do you do when it's raining hard? I had to rescue my babies and put them two by two in there consecutive coops. Mine is designed end on end with a run in the middle. I have to put a tarp over the middle Section.
I guess they're going to have to stay in the coop now all night it's supposed to rain And go down to fifty one degrees. I put my feed in each coop and have water dispensers in case they have to stay in there for a while with the weather.

Back
Top Bottom